Question How to reset BIOS without reinstalling motherboard

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I was doing a system upgrade and I forgot to reset the BIOS settings to defaults of my old motherboard before removing it from my case. Is there a way to reset the BIOS settings from my old motherboard without reinstalling my old motherboard inside the case?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I was doing a system upgrade and I forgot to reset the BIOS settings to defaults of my old motherboard before removing it from my case. Is there a way to reset the BIOS settings from my old motherboard without reinstalling my old motherboard inside the case?
Look in the manual to how to clear the CMOS (usually moving a jumper). You do this without the power connected to the motherboard, so you do not need to reinstall it.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
I have no clue what you're asking. You're trying to reset the bios on the mb you removed from your system? Why? If that mb is put in a new system the bios automatically resets.

Reactions: lobz

Mantrid-Drone

Mar 15, 2014
Depending on the MB there could be a "Load with optimised defaults" option in the BIOS/UEFI settings. So all that may be necessary is to go into the BIOS/UEFI first, once the hardware or whatever other upgrades are done, set that and reboot.

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
This is a non-issue. When the board in question is used again just load default settings, same difference. If you must do it now, then remove the battery.

jdfelosi

Jan 15, 2020
used to be fairly common to see reset buttons on the io panel for a while. but what i normaly do is just take an old 2 position switch and a servo connector or 3pin jst and some wire and remote mount it somewhere easier to get to.