How to reinstall XP Home on laptop?

WebDude

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
I guess this OS forum is the best for this question. I just bought a new Acer laptop, with XP Home preinstalled. The MS sticker is on the back of the laptop, with the cola and activation key. BUT THERE WAS NO XP HOME CD PROVIDED! I guess they can save like 5 cents by doing this (not too happy about this). Well the XP Home install on the 40 gig hd is FAT32, and the drive has 3 partititions (very dumb). I want just one NTFS partition. This means a reinstall of XP Home. Anyone know where can I get a copy of the XP Home install CD, without paying the full price for another full registered oem copy? I don't believe there is any way to ghost the current install, reformat the drive in NTFS, and then ghost it back, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

Doh!

Platinum Member
Jan 21, 2000
No need to reinstall. You can merge the partitions using a partition utility (i.e. partition magic). You can easily convert fat32 to ntfs in command prompt. (convert command)

WebDude

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Thanks man. Didn't know the conversion was that easy.

I guess though I'll have to convert before I merge the partitions. Seems like FAT32 has a 32gig limit, and my hd is 40gig, so I can't make a full FAT32 partition (that's probably why they partitioned the drive). Guess I'll have to check out the partition manager utilities.

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
OEM manufacturers always provide SOME way to restore your system. The common ways are:
1) Incorporate a hidden "Recovery Partition" on the hard drive that contains images that can restore the original system.
2) Include a program to create a Recovery CD.
3) Provide a Recovery CD, either with the PC or upon demand by purchaser.

I strongly recommend that you either obtain a Recovery CD from the manufacturer or create one using a built-in utility for creating and burning a Recovery CD. If you wait until the warranty expires on the computer, the manufacturer may not be willing to furnish a CD, or may charge an exhorbitant price. And if the drive fails, the built-in Recovery Partition won't do you any good.

If you only care to change the partitioning, then you can, as mentioned, easily convert a FAT32 partition to NTFS. But note that FAT32 is NOT limited to 32GB. It's just that XP won't natively create a FAT32 partition on a drive larger than 32GB. FAT32 partitions can be up to 2 TERABYTES in size.

If you start modifying partitions, PLEASE make backups of any critical data first.

WebDude

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
I did the burn CD option when I got the lapton (it took 4 CD's). There are 2 17gig partitions on the hd, and a 3rd samller partition. I susptect the 3rd partition is for recovery purposes, combined with the CD's I burned.

I'm just surprised that with all the talk about the superiority of NTFS (security, file size, etc.) that they ship current laptops with FAT32 partitions. Must be easier for the mfgr or something. Dunno.