How To Read Your Power Supply Voltages

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
I've got a box full of old PS, and I would like to quickly weed out the bad ones. I've got three testers, Power and Cooling with a resistor pack and single led, cheap 10 led tester, and deluxe version with a nice backlit display that shows numerical values for 6 things. Using this last tester, some PS have been clearly bad, no start, or voltages too low (like less than 4.7 on the 5v).

Should I use the voltage ranges in your earlier post, or should I be making some adjustment for no or little load?

I do plug in a hard drive if a PS looks basically good.

Most of these are for OLD systems, 20 pin ATX etc., any adjustments on that basis?

Thanks, good thread.

Reactions: NathanShirley

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
Should I use the voltage ranges in your earlier post, or should I be making some adjustment for no or little load?
The range is the same regardless.

Most of these are for OLD systems, 20 pin ATX etc., any adjustments on that basis?
No, out of spec voltage is bad for any system.

Marcuf

Banned
Oct 9, 2010
www.etech.com
All of this information is well and good Ernie, but I've looked over all your blog entries visible without going to archives and it seems every one is either 100% about the iPhone

PreferLinux

Dec 29, 2010
I think it may be worthwhile to add a comment that 12 V DC is not dangerous. i.e. if you touch any live wire in a computer along with, say, the case (so you are grounded), you won't feel anything unless it is a +/- 12 V wire (yellow or purple), and even then it would be very slight, if noticeable, and would definitely not be harmful. But it is still a good idea to be careful.

Also, as the case is grounded, it is possibly a good place for the ground probe.

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
hai.
I have some questions
My computer often die suddenly, what power supply can cause this?

Probably best to start a new topic & provide more information.

Either a defective PSU or one that cannot provide enough power could cause crashes.

Edit: Welcome to Anandtech! :)

Reactions: Alice89
Status
Not open for further replies.