Question How to read my Samsung S.M.A.R.T. info?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
I have owned this disk for many years and I never get any trouble.

But why Relocated Sectors Count always give me the same info since I owned the disk.

I'm complete idiot about this S.M.A.R.T. info.

Anyone care to explain this Current/Worst/Threshold info to me?

Thanks.

Untitled.png

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I found this explanation (post #8): https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/fo...fo-shows-hard-drive-as-yellow-caution-status/

I had the same thing show on a Seagate hard drive my son was using as an external storage, and it ended up dying about a month later.

It had began to give my son problems, so once I connected it to my PC and ran CrystalDiskInfo on and saw the yellow caution warning, I downloaded Seagate's SeaTool testing utility just to be sure CrystalDiskInfo wasn't incorrectly reporting problems, and it confirmed the drive was not in good shape.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Just check the label on disk. It's manufactured in Aug 2009. So it's over 10 years.

The first time I checked S.M.A.R.T. info probably was one or two years after I owned the disk. Those number stay the same every time I checked it. It's always 100/100/10 and it always shows me a caution status. But I never get one disk error, not a single one!

How is this possible? The temperature on the disk is so low and generate very little heat. I absolutely love this Samsung drive!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
The first time I checked S.M.A.R.T. info probably was one or two years after I owned the disk. Those number stay the same every time I checked it. It's always 100/100/10 and it always shows me a caution status. But I never get one disk error, not a single one!
Those numbers would stay the same, it's the RAW value given by your drive's SMART data that CrystalDiskInfo is flagging.
How is this possible? The temperature on the disk is so low and generate very little heat. I absolutely love this Samsung drive!
All drives eventually wear out, regardless of temperature. 10 years is a good amount of time. My son's Seagate drive failed after like 14 months after I bought it for him, and of course it only had a 1 year warranty on it.

Also, here is a shot of my Samsung SSD's health that I just did (shows no reallocated sectors count under RAW). My power-on hours is about 25% of what your drive's hours are (10,000 vs 40,000).

1.jpg

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Here is another utility that you can use to test your HDD to confirm what CrystalDiskInfo is showing. https://hddscan.com/

I've never personally used it (I usually confirm findings with the hard drive manufacturer's utilities), but since Samsung got out of the HDD business, I don't think there are any manufacturer specific available for it (like Samsung Magician, Seagate SeaTools, WD LifeGuard, etc).