How to prove I lived at a certain address 10+ years ago

Jeraden

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I did one of those unclaimed property searches and apparently I have 2 insurance policy refunds or something under my name that are marked as unclaimed property. Worth a few hundred dollars total. So I went to fill out a claim to get it and it basically says I either need to show proof that the policies are mine (which I have no way of doing) or else prove that I lived at the address associated with the policies. Unfortunately this was about 14 years ago. I really have no documentation currently saying I ever lived there. That was my "home" while I was in college. I did file a couple tax returns using that address, but I no longer have a copy.

Anyone have any ideas of what I could do to get proof I lived there? Would a credit report show prior addresses like that? Not sure if I actually had a credit card back then or not though. My college probably had that address on my record, but not sure if they keep records from that far back or would even send me anything at this point. So instead of tracking down numerous dead ends, just wondering if anyone had any ideas.

Jeraden

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: CadetLee
Duplicate tax return from the IRS?

I looked that up, there is a form 4506 you fill out to get a copy of an old one, along with a $39 fee. However it says they only keep them for 7 years, so chances are they wouldn't have my 14 year old one anymore.

mrchan

Diamond Member
May 18, 2000
Well. If they are insurance policy refunds, I would check with that insurance company...... Seems like they would have your insurance history on file.

Krazefinn

Feb 1, 2006
Paystubs, utilities (phone, sewer, elect,etc) , rent, mortgage, insurance (auto and home) among others...

Jeraden

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
The residence was my parents while I was in college, so I have no real utility bills or anything. I don't think they are sufficient proof anyways, since it just says Joe Schmo paid this utility for this address and not necessarily that I'm the same Joe Schmo. I guess I really need something that proves my SSN was attached to that residence. My parents are no longer around to get any information from them. But since I didn't actually reside there other than that being my "permanent address" for taxes/school purposes, its proving to be tough to think of anything.

I'll have to look into the credit report, I think everyone is entitled to a free one now too.

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
criminal record maybe? if you got a speeding ticket back then would have your addressat the time on it ;)

Jeraden

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well the property is from a "demutualized insurance policy" (thats what it says on the unclaimed property search), which is explained here:
http://www.claims-info.com/FAQ.htm
Don't fully understand it other than it means I have money out there that I'm entitled to and thats all I care. :)

I'm assuming it was a policy my parents had on me as I definitely didn't have any insurance personally.

That zabasearch link does show my record at that prior address, so maybe thats the way to go. $30 though and not positive if its going to be legit enough to be accepted, but I might have to go that route.

The reason I can't deal with the insurance company, is I have no idea what it was from to even call someone. All the info it gives is that its demutualized insurance policy, due to someone with my name, at my previous address. So basically have to prove that the current me is the same as the previous me at the previous address. At least thats how I'm interpretting it.

imported_weadjust

Golden Member
Apr 23, 2004
If your parents owned the home you can look up the records at the court house. Get a copy of the deed showing your parents name and address. Show deed and copy of your birth cerificate with parents name.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Chances are good that the state you lived in then has a website for unclaimed property. Go there and you'll probably be able to search on your name to find out which insurance company it was.