how to play music on Nokia Windows phone?

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
I bought a cheap Nokia Windows phone, thinking I could use it to play mp3's while mowing the yard. The built in Xbox music player seems pretty stupid-smart. I just want to play all of the music in a folder in order or randomized, like I do with VLC on my PC. However, it keeps giving me headaches. (like when I delete a song that I've listened to enough time, and add others) It seems like it is trying to sync with something all the time, and it can't seem to handle when a song goes 'missing'. (I've deleted it) I wish there was some way to get VLC media center on there, but evidently the phones are locked down, and you can't panything on there. |Help!

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
It looks like VLC and Foobar2000 are available in the Windows app store.

I'm not familiar with Windows phones so no idea if you can sideload an app like you can on an Android phone.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
It looks like VLC and Foobar2000 are available in the Windows app store.

I'm not familiar with Windows phones so no idea if you can sideload an app like you can on an Android phone.
The Windows App Store is not the same as the Windows *Phone* App Store.

I haven't used Windows Phone since WP7, sorry that I can't be of more help (also, when I used Windows Phone, it was using the Zune music app).

Reactions: balloonshark

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Yes, I've been told that the Xbox music player is basically a newer version of the Zune Music app. I just need it to be 'less smart', and just play the music that I have in a folder.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
microsoft killed support for windows phone a long time ago. If you cannot do it with the default or already installed software, you cant do it.
I kinda liked windows phone for a little while, but they just didnt have any support from third party programmers and even though the UI was sleek, almost no one wanted to leave apple or google for it.
Nowadays its more of a novelty or toy. Something to play with and say "oh thats interesting" but its no good for real world use. Same with Palm.

Even if you wanted a dedicated media player I'd still recommend Android. Get something reasonable like a low-end Nokia. You'll be happier. You can download apps and media over wifi and use it without a lot of hassle.

Reactions: VirtualLarry