How to open URL in secondary browser via desktop link

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
I'm sure everyone's tired of Gmail already, so I won't mention it. :)

The situation here is that I use Opera as a primary browser. The problem is, "a website" won't work with Opera, since ActiveX needs to be licensed out and the Opera folks don't want it, but the "website" needs ActiveX.

Well, I like "this website", so I was trying to make a bat file to open "this website" using IE (my secondary browser). However, I have no clue what I'm doing. Does anyone have any suggestions on just having one link to force windows to use IE to open it? I want to keep Opera as my primary browser, by the way.

Now, I would've already been able to figure this out if I knew where the iexplore.exe file was (I can't find it, Search cannot find it, etc.) - I was planning to make a normal URL link to "this site", and then rename it *.urx, and have IE open URX files natively, but that's not working.
And then I was going to try making a shortcut to IE on the desktop, but I can't find the option to display IE on the desktop first, either :|

So, basically:
Questions:
[*]Where is the IEXPLORE.EXE file?
[*]Where is the option to show IE on the desktop?
[*]Do you have any ideas for me involving maybe a *.bat file, or some other method?

Cheers, :wine: :)

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Okay, simple. Browse to Program Files/Internet Explorer directory on your hard drive.

iexplore.exe is there. Right click and hold, drag it to the desktop. Menu will pop up, click create shortcut.

Right click shortcut, click properties. It should say this under Target:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE"

Change it to this:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" http://www.gmail.com

Make sure to put that outside the quotation marks. Viola. Double click to open IE but with the Gmail page instead of default home page. This won't change your default browser as long as IE doesn't ask and if it does, tell it no and check not to ask again.

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Oh, I know why IE isn't in program files\internet explorer folder (it's not, btw) - that stupid toolbar that I can't get rid of must've hijacked it somewhere else. I never paid it much heed since I use Opera.