How to move swapfile to outer tracks for free???

GL

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think the topic says it all. Is there any *free* way to move the swapfile to the outer tracks of my new Quantum LM 30GB drive? Right now, it is after all the data on the drive but not in the outer tracks.

-GL

Dug

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2000
I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong, that you can donwload the demo version of Norton Utilities. Sorry I can't find a link. And run the disk defragmenter on optimized. Once you've done that you don't need Norton Utilities anymore, because Windows defrag won't move the swap file again.

GL

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Sweet! Thanks...I read about that Norton thing but I thought you had to leave it installed and defrag every so often with it. It's off my system as soon as it moves the swapfile over:)

-GL

LocutusX

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well Paul, make sure its a permanent swapfile with a fixed upper and lower boundary size (upper = lower) and also attrib +shr it, just to be sure defrag won't move it about.

GL

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have a fixed partition LocutusX...just gotta find a damn application that'll move it to the outer tracks. Norton pulled the trialware version of Utilities from their website and the trialware version of Speeddisk that they have only works with NT. There's got to be some little freeware program that does this...I'd whip up my own program but this is beyond my skills at this point (sounds trivial but I'd have to figure out how to write to particular parts of the partition...and even then I'd be guessing if those were the outer tracks!).

-GL

Oct 9, 1999
I got 384MB RAM and I have a 250 MB SWAP as the last partition (255 MB)of my primary drive therefore its on the outside. Though sometimes under heavy load that 250MB is not enough. I am going to reformat and give myself a bigger partition and therefore an option to increase swap when necessary.

Mar 1, 2000
The last partition, or the ?end? of a hard drive, is in the centre, and is the slowest part of the disk, thus it is not the optimum location for a swap file.

LocutusX

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Have you tried any of Executive software's products? I don't know what OS you are using, but I believe even the trialware version of Executive's Win2K defragger will move your pagefile to the front of the drive.