How to move a pool table?

jonmullen

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2002
My family is looking at buying a used pool table, but we have no idea how you go about moving one of these things. We would be buying it from someone in our same city, and it should not be that hard to get it into our house, but who can you call to move one of these things and how much is reasonable to pay for this?

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
How many people do you have to move it? You'll probably need 4 people at least to make it easy. Remove the slate and legs and carry them separately from the table. You can rent a truck from Home Depot from cheap and they'll throw in tie downs. There are tons of mounting points on their beds as well.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
If it's a high quality table it will be very heavy. Whoever moves it will need appropriate dollies etc.

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Call some local pool table companies.

They will usually have a package price price for moving and setting up a used pool table. They will be insured and will get the table properly assembled and set-up at the new location.

For a cheap-o table it may not be worth it, but if the table if worth over $650, its definitely worth it.

TheToOTaLL

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2001
Another vote for the Uhaul. I'm sure you can find out how to properly assemble/disassemble for transporting without paying a exhorbant amount.

dethman

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
i pretty much threw my back out trying to move our pool table into our house. if you can, get some movers.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I took the slate out and made a frame for it with handles to move ours, but I had to get it down a basement that has a hard turn at the bottom of the stairs.

JustinGoodie

Dec 12, 2002
all you really need is a good sized pickup, 6 guys and a fair amount of beer to drink after the job is done.... it will take care of itself, and everyone will want to get the table in its new home and properly leveled so they can play a game while drinking the beer they earned from hauling the 600lb slab of slate to and fro the truck/uhaul... just this last summer me and a few buddies did just this.... quite fun moving the slate from the old lady's basement (steps can be a real pain in the ass) but we got it where it needed to be