How to measure hd4870 temperature? And how to lower it =)

opeeum69

Jul 19, 2008
Hello, basically I'd like some help with the title :) people always report their hd4xxx series temperatures but i couldn't find it =*

thanks

opeeum69

Jul 19, 2008
thanks aberforth and narynan, but now that I can see my hd4870 temp, it's 75 degrees Celcius on idle, and 85 degrees Celcius for its onboard memory.

I read the fan fix by changing CCC profile values, but it doesn't work for me, i have CCC version 8.8, is there a fan fix for this version of CCC?

(on profile manager page: I click 'activate and close' button, it just asks me if i want to replace the profile with same name, and if i choose 'activate profile' from the drop down menu, nothing happens either)

I made sure settings were manual, target rpm is 0, and target percentage is 60

any help is appreciated, thanks (anything like riva tuner out now that works?)

Narynan

Jul 9, 2008
I think you got it a little bit wrong when it comes to the editing.

I think you are editing the wrong 0, go one line lower and then change that line. You want the "FanSpeedPercentTarget_0" to look just like that , the line under it though, should have value="THIS" is the number you want to change. Most people find 50% to be the happy spot. give it a shot

Narynan

Jul 9, 2008
Actually you should just copy and paste this into you XML with "XX" being the speed you want. replace the following text with what you see below
I personally choose 30 for normal stuff, 57 for gaming

replace the following text with what you see below

<Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">
<Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Manual" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="0" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="XX" />

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: opeeum69
thanks aberforth and narynan, but now that I can see my hd4870 temp, it's 75 degrees Celcius on idle, and 85 degrees Celcius for its onboard memory.

I read the fan fix by changing CCC profile values, but it doesn't work for me, i have CCC version 8.8, is there a fan fix for this version of CCC?

(on profile manager page: I click 'activate and close' button, it just asks me if i want to replace the profile with same name, and if i choose 'activate profile' from the drop down menu, nothing happens either)

EXPERTool will change you fan speed *dynamically*

http://www.techpowerup.com/dow...ool_v.4.0_for_ATI.html

FORGET editing profiles unless you like an annoying whine all the time :p

my HD4870 temps dropped OUT of the 80s and i can easily get 820/1160!!

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Originally posted by: apoppin
Originally posted by: opeeum69

EXPERTool will change you fan speed *dynamically*

http://www.techpowerup.com/dow...ool_v.4.0_for_ATI.html

FORGET editing profiles unless you like an annoying whine all the time :p

my HD4870 temps dropped OUT of the 80s and i can easily get 820/1160!!

If I was in America, Id send you a hug for this.

Now I can hook up my 120mm Scythe Kama to my HD4870 and control its speed dynamically.

EDIT: OK, how do I sort out the appropriate fan speeds for temperature levels?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

if you set it dynamically, it adjusts the fan speed like CCC does, but more aggressively - so your card stays cooler

if you set it manually, set it to what level you can handle .. 50% is enough for a mad O/C'er, but that level will kill a noise princess
rose.gif

i see there is no manual adjustment below 50% :p
- well, i use it dynamic and can keep my OC
BUT - i find i don't need the OC that high [820/1165] .. so it is back to "dynamic" and 790/1100 .. why stress over less than 1% performance increase?

eventually i want to sell this card with a good conscience .. like i do all my HW
:)

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Originally posted by: apoppin

if you set it dynamically, it adjusts the fan speed like CCC does, but more aggressively - so your card stays cooler

if you set it manually, set it to what level you can handle .. it is enough unless you are a mad O/C'er or a noise princess
rose.gif

Ahhh... the program that I thought was my saviour turns out to be the same as everything else...

Inadequate.