How to make music playlists that I can transfer between phones or Windows

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
I should know this because i am not a novice PC user but now that google music is dead I have music and don't want to make a playlist that is non transferrable. I am sure it can be done but I cannot find it searching google several times. Perhaps I am not asking the right question in google. I have a phone currently with Omnia and Pulsar music players but i am not sure how to create a playlist on my PC and copy it to my phone so these apps or any other music app that is half way decent will play it.

My goal is to be able to make a playlist once and not have to rebuild them if I get a new phone. I also want to copy the playlists to my wife's phone. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

bracknelson

Oct 28, 2020
There is no direct solution to solve this problem but using apps like
*Total Commander
*Playlist Backup
you can export your playlist to PC's hard disk. Watch the tutorials on youtube to use these android apps.

Reactions: JimKiler

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
There is no direct solution to solve this problem but using apps like
*Total Commander
*Playlist Backup
you can export your playlist to PC's hard disk. Watch the tutorials on youtube to use these android apps.
If i can still get my google play playlist then i would not need to rebuild them, that would be very helpful. Thank you for these app recommendations.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I should know this because i am not a novice PC user but now that google music is dead I have music and don't want to make a playlist that is non transferrable. I am sure it can be done but I cannot find it searching google several times. Perhaps I am not asking the right question in google. I have a phone currently with Omnia and Pulsar music players but i am not sure how to create a playlist on my PC and copy it to my phone so these apps or any other music app that is half way decent will play it.

My goal is to be able to make a playlist once and not have to rebuild them if I get a new phone. I also want to copy the playlists to my wife's phone. Any help is appreciated.

Assuming all your music is in one folder and not spread over several drives, you just need to edit the playlist to change the absolute path to a relative path.

So create m3u in whatever music app you use on pc.
Open in text editor.
Assuming your music is all in C:\music, you'll see all the entries with that absolute path, so "C:\Music\Nickelback\How You Remind Me.mp3". You just need to replace that with relative path.
So replace C:\Music\ with ..\Music
Then put all the music on the phone's Music folder, then put the play list in the Playlist folder.

Open the playlist in your music app and that should do it.

This is obviously about Windows and Android. I don't know what IOS looks like xd. I think there is a way to save relative path with foobar2000 but I never bothered with playlists so never done it myself.

Nov 17, 2019
All of my music on my PC is in Windows Media Player. Playlists transfer to my mobile devices easily.

Have you looked at VLC?

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
All of my music on my PC is in Windows Media Player. Playlists transfer to my mobile devices easily.

Have you looked at VLC?
I have no tried VLC on my phone, I have tried it on my TV but was not a fan of the interface. I am using Mediamonkey on my PC which i like and I transfer to my phone and tablets but for some reason it is not transfering all the songs, i am missing ones on each device. I have at least 90% but there are definite hiccups.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
This is obviously about Windows and Android. I don't know what IOS looks like xd. I think there is a way to save relative path with foobar2000 but I never bothered with playlists so never done it myself.
My Fiio X5 uses /mnt/external_sd1 (or sd2) before the relative path, so I load up the playlist in Notepad and do a search&replace of the drive letter with that. I believe I change \ to / as well. My Sony A-26 was a pain trying to use anything but their software. I don't recall what my Astell&Kern AK120 or iBasso DX80 use.

I have no tried VLC on my phone, I have tried it on my TV but was not a fan of the interface. I am using Mediamonkey on my PC which i like and I transfer to my phone and tablets but for some reason it is not transfering all the songs, i am missing ones on each device. I have at least 90% but there are definite hiccups.
When I've had similar problems, it was usually either special characters / foreign language or more commonly the filename was too long.

Reactions: Andrewfletcher