How to make face less red (boozing related)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
When you booze, how much, do you booze exactly? If you're getting drunk you're drinking too much and/or too fast.
If you're drinking and you're not getting drunk you are wasting booze and damaging your body for no good reason. Alcohol is a drug and should be treated as such. No one says, "I'm a light meth user" or, "I just drop acid socially." Piss or get off the pot.

Reactions: master_shake_

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
If you're drinking and you're not getting drunk you are wasting booze and damaging your body for no good reason. Alcohol is a drug and should be treated as such. No one says, "I'm a light meth user" or, "I just drop acid socially." Piss or get off the pot.
Ummm....

Reactions: Mike64

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
Loose weight.
Lower your blood pressure.
Get in shape.
and ... Get younger(??)

Getting into shape almost requires you to booze less, but it can sometimes be done while still boozing. More easily done when you're young, and increasingly difficult as you get older.

Most fair-skinned people become paler and more red-faced as they age. Nothing you can do about it. Controlling your weight, blood pressure and your physical condition will help you overheat less. If you're sweating and red and look like your head is going to pop off while you're just pushing a cart through the grocery store, you probably need to do something.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000

I like drinking alcohol for the taste.

HAHAHAHAHAHAA...

No, but seriously, OP should see el doctoro. Isn't there some Asian drinking gene -- yes, OP said he was a white boy -- that causes flushed faces?

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Maybe you could settle for makeup to cover it up?

ROFL. OP, I think you found your answer!

I would recommend against combining cocaine and ethanol, however: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocaethylene

Now there's an awesome combo. I wouldn't personally know, of course, but I hear you feel like conquering the world.

What's your poison for something like that? Beer burns off too quickly.

Any liquor would do. Bottom shelf vodka or Captain Morgan's Rum were two that worked for me.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
an old roommate of mine was chinese and there was a gene found in a sizeable enough number of asians that prevents the body from breaking down alcohol, and he would get a rosy face from drinking. there was a pill he took for it before he started drinking that helped. find that pill and you may find your solution.

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
Minor, temporary flushing is pretty common and relatively normal. But as for the redness that doesn't go away, that's not from new, "additional" capillaries. It's partly the result of short-term changes in neurochemistry, and party due to damage to the blood vessels themselves, which can/will eventually become permanent. (See, e.g., "Cutaneous adverse effects of alcohol".)

How to make them go away? Drink less, especially less frequently/regularly. (Whatever the other pluses/minuses might be, getting blind drunk once in a while would have less long-term impact on your capillaries than getting moderately drunk on a regular basis.) If you're relatively young, they should revert to normal eventually, but at some point, especially the older you get, the less likely that will be...

Last edited:

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
The gene for asian flush doesn't keep them from metabolizing alcohol, it makes part of the process faster. Alcohol breaks down into something else that really fucks you up, this is where hangovers come from, but that something else can be broken down into another something else that is basically inert. In most people those two steps happen at about the same rate. The problem many Asians have is that their enzyme for turning alcohol into hangover juice is a lot more effective than normal while their enzyme for turning hangover juice into nothing is unaffected - the nasty stuff builds up and they start to have a hangover while they're still buzzed.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
What's your poison for something like that? Beer burns off too quickly.
Vodka or clear liquor. I did it with Gin too but I'm not a big Gin drinker. With vodka I'd drink until I get slight buzz and stop for a bit and top up. It burns off quickly too.

Dark liquor is a whole other beast. It burns off a lot slower.

Note:. I am not suggesting anyone do this as it can be dangerous sobering up. I did this several years ago when mom passed. Not a great period in my life.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I used to get like that, mainly from drinking hard liquor, Vodka/Whiskey especially, red in the face and red blotches all over the body, harder to breath etc....white as can be...