how to make cpu fan always run at max speed

scrubman

Jul 6, 2000
i have an Arctic Cooling super silent pro and i think i just want to make this thing run at max speed constantly... is there a way to do that with multi speed fans contolled by a heat sensor? i can see the sensor in the fins of the heatsink... thanks for any help!

Overkast

Aug 1, 2003
1) Get a 3-pin to 4-pin adapter.

2) Plug the fan into the 3-pin side.

3) Plug the 4-pin side into one of the regular 12v HD/CD-ROM 4-pin power plugs.

*If your power supply comes with 4-pin "Fan Only" plugs, don't use them. They are also sensor controlled. But the 4-pin plugs for the IDE devices are a full 12v and that should work fine.

I had the same dilemma trying to keep my coolermaster LED fans lit without pulsating (they pulsate when fan speeds are less than 100% throttle). The only way to do that was to keep them at full blast constantly, so this was the workaround that worked for me.

Good luck.

scrubman

Jul 6, 2000
thank you so much!! i will see if that works for me as soon as i get my new mobo and cpu... i burned them both up just from changing the heatsink/fan... all i wanted was to make it a little bit quieter... im not exactly sure how that happened but i think that the new heatsink wasnt seated 100% on the cpu core... owell, first time for everything...

scrubman

Jul 6, 2000
i dont think that will help because the fan speed is controlled by the heat sensor, not the voltage from the power connector... i was thinking what would happen if i cut the sensor off and shorted the 2 wires together??

Overkast

Aug 1, 2003
No, I'm saying bypass all the heat sensor sockets on the motherboard altogether.

Just plug the fans directly into the 12v 4-pin plugs wired directly to the power supply.

You know, the plugs you would normally use to power your IDE devices. Just get a bunch of Y-splitters and hook up all the fans to one 12v 4-pin plug.

scrubman

Jul 6, 2000
whats a heat sensor socket on the motherboard??

anyway, i cut the sensor off the fan and shorted the 2 wires... it runs full speed and is still pretty quiet!!

thanks for you help anyway!

Overkast

Aug 1, 2003
Oh, ok then. Rock on!

By heat sensor socket, I meant the actual 3-pin fan sockets built into the mobo. They're usually sensor-controlled.