How to make a Bootable DOS CD with CD Rom support?

dirtrat

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've read MANY articles and web pages on how to do this but none of them work or do what I want to do. I just need to create a bootable DOS CD that will give me DOS (Generic) CD Rom (IDE) support. I have a computer that doesn't have a floppy drive and I need to install Windows 98 Upgrade. Windows 98 Upgrade is NOT a Bootable CD so I need the CD Rom working in DOS to run the setup file to install it. Can someone point me to a sim[ple way to do this? I tried one program that copied it from a floppy drive on another computer but it causes the CD Rom drive to be drive A: and my computer doesn't seem to like that.

xcript

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2003
I simply made an image of the win95 boot floppy and burned it to CD.

Worked quite well.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I have a bootable Ghost CD that's great. I always run Ghost from it, 20x faster than a floppy. Instructions for making it were in the Ghost manual on the Norton Systemworks CD. Using it, you could probably boot from it and then go to a DOS prompt and install Windows 98. I got around this problem (installed W98SE) last week by booting with a floppy with CD Rom support. Of course, you need a floppy drive to do that.

Abhi

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2003
Here is what i did..
To make the CD, you need a computer with a floppy drive as well as a CD Writer.

Make a "Windows 98 Startup Disk" and put it in the floppy drive.
Use the latest version on Ahead Nero (www.nero.com). Start "Nero Express". Click "Data". Click "Bootable Data Disk".
Click "Add" and choose all the files in the floppy drive. Click "Finished". Hit Next twice.

Burn.

You just got a bootable diskette. With CD Rom support btw :)

imported_Phil

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2001
That won't make it bootable. You need to specify where Nero gets the boot image from, in this case, A:\. Simply copying the files to a CD won't make it boot.

SemperFi

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2000
Here are instructions on how to make a bootable 2000 disk. You should be able to adapt the instructions for 98. Just copy the 98 disk to your hard drive and scroll down the page where the nero instructions begin. Pickup the boot files at bootdisk.com as stated earlier.

Abhi

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by: DopeFiend
That won't make it bootable. You need to specify where Nero gets the boot image from, in this case, A:\. Simply copying the files to a CD won't make it boot.

I said "Hit Next twice." After the first next, nero asks you where to take the image from, for which the default is already the floppy drive. So it takes the image from there without additional settings.

I works... i have tried it :)

Nosaj

Sep 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Abhi
Here is what i did..
To make the CD, you need a computer with a floppy drive as well as a CD Writer.

Make a "Windows 98 Startup Disk" and put it in the floppy drive.
Use the latest version on Ahead Nero (<a href="http://www.nero.com">www.nero.com</A>). Start "Nero Express". Click "Data". Click "Bootable Data Disk".
Click "Add" and choose all the files in the floppy drive. Click "Finished". Hit Next twice.

Burn.

You just got a bootable diskette. With CD Rom support btw :)

He's right, this is the easiest way to make a 98 boot cdrom. You get the added benefit of fdisk and format! :)

Abhi

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Nosaj
He's right, this is the easiest way to make a 98 boot cdrom. You get the added benefit of fdisk and format! :)

Also, When you click "add", you can choose the operating system files and make a bootable version of your operating system!
After you boot, you can run setup right from the disk!

This is really helpful if you want to install Windows 98 on a brand new HDD etc.

imported_Phil

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2001
I said "Hit Next twice." After the first next, nero asks you where to take the image from, for which the default is already the floppy drive. So it takes the image from there without additional settings.

Agreed, so why do you need to add all the files from the floppy and then click Finished if Nero's already read the floppy into an image? That would mean that you're copying the files twice, hence my comment.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not after an argument, but having done this more times than I'd care to remember (eg bootable diagnostic/repair DVD for work, several revisions, sigh), it strikes me as being odd that you'd want to copy the files on the bootable floppy onto the CD when they're mounted as A: when you boot from the CD :confused:

Abhi

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2003
Agreed, so why do you need to add all the files from the floppy and then click Finished if Nero's already read the floppy into an image? That would mean that you're copying the files twice, hence my comment. Don't get me wrong, I'm not after an argument, but having done this more times than I'd care to remember (eg bootable diagnostic/repair DVD for work, several revisions, sigh), it strikes me as being odd that you'd want to copy the files on the bootable floppy onto the CD when they're mounted as A: when you boot from the CD :confused:

I tried this once...without adding the files....
Stupid nero gave me a bootable cd all rite... but without the scandisk, etc and other startup utilities! Hence i had to make another one, manually adding the files.

But then that was an older version... so maybe the new version doesnt have that problem.
And i know that logically i am copying the files 2wice... but whatever works! :D

Abhi

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2003
[Agreed, so why do you need to add all the files from the floppy and then click Finished if Nero's already read the floppy into an image? That would mean that you're copying the files twice, hence my comment. Don't get me wrong, I'm not after an argument, but having done this more times than I'd care to remember (eg bootable diagnostic/repair DVD for work, several revisions, sigh), it strikes me as being odd that you'd want to copy the files on the bootable floppy onto the CD when they're mounted as A: when you boot from the CD :confused:

Hey.. i just tried it. Without adding the files manually. It works!

Copying the files in the first instance is un-neccasary.

I was wrong...:(.... you were right...