how to limit GPU clock (and thus temperature) automatically?

Erich56

Aug 4, 2018
I have a Windows 10 PC with two GTX980ti with which I crunch GPUGRID.
The GPU clocks and temperatures are controlled by the NVIDIA Inspector, in order not to become too high (GPU temps are kept at around 60/61°C).

Once in a while, the system shuts down by itself and reboots right thereafter (the reason for this still has to be found out).

I could, theoretically, set GPUGRID to start together with Windows.
However, the problem then is that there is no NVIDIA Inspector to set the temps (and thus GPU clocks), since the NVIDIA Inspector cannot be set to start together with Windows; and even if this was possible: it needs to set the values manually.

Can anyone give me advice if there is a way to handle this problem? Can I set a GPU temperature limit somewhere else so that if the system shuts down and reboots, this limit is observed?
Because what I have noticed is that without the limitation set by the NVIDIA Inspector, the GPU temps are much higher, i.e. in their 70s (°C), which I don't want.

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
You could try MSI Afterburner, set up an overclocking profile, turn the power limit down to, let's say 80%, and you will lower the power usage and probably limit the clocks as well. You could, from there, turn the power down even more.

You should look to get the system shutdown problem solved though. Maybe your PSU is on its way out and can't handle the power draw.

Reactions: psolord

Erich56

Aug 4, 2018
You could try MSI Afterburner, set up an overclocking profile, turn the power limit down to, let's say 80%, and you will lower the power usage and probably limit the clocks as well. You could, from there, turn the power down even more.

You should look to get the system shutdown problem solved though. Maybe your PSU is on its way out and can't handle the power draw.
Thanks for the hints regarding the Afterburner.
What concerns the shutdown problem: of course, it should be solved. My PSU is 1000W, and 2 years old; however, meanwhile there is the strong suspicion that it's a RAM problem :(

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
You can set a temperature limit in MSI Afterburner which will achieve what you're looking for most directly