Question How to know if PSU is going bad?

rounakr94

Aug 3, 2020
From past few months I have started to face a lot of issue with my pc.
It all started with my mouse led flickering when there is a power fluctuation.
From there it went to issue with UPS No. 1 (further referred as microtek) which I changed to APC but it exhibited more or less the same issue.

The issue was psu not responding quickly to the ups switching to battery backup from mains and vice versa. Some say its main capacitor holding time issue but system was not consuming full wattage of PSU so holdup time should be higher. Mind it same issue of shutdown on switchback to mains from battery was not seen when system was idle.

Another issue was the psu shutting down automatically when ups switched from battery to mains once the psu even shutdown when ups(apc) was supplying mains power through itself and pc was just on the desktop doing nothing.

Some said it was related to stepped Sinewave and apfc but if that was the case it shouldn't have worked with the UPS(microtek) for 10months or shouldn't have shutdown while ups(apc) was on mains mode.

So does this translate to a faulty psu or just my bad luck with UPS? As both ups exhibit more or less the same problem.
PC specs in signature.
If you need any more info please feel free to comment. I wrote this in a hurry so there maybe some grammatical mistakes.

Ryzen 5 3500
Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4
G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8gb @3000
Zotac 1660s Twin Fan
Deepcool Gammaxx L240 V2
Matrix Evolve
860 evo + Wd Blue 1tb + Bx500480gb
Cx450

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Hard to say the exact cause of the problem, but the CX450 is not a very quality PSU IMO, it may be wise to buy a new one, at least for troubleshooting. Also, how old is it?

Also, I am curious, where did you get a Ryzen 5 3500? I thought those were OEM only.

rounakr94

Aug 3, 2020
Hard to say the exact cause of the problem, but the CX450 is not a very quality PSU IMO, it may be wise to buy a new one, at least for troubleshooting. Also, how old is it?

Also, I am curious, where did you get a Ryzen 5 3500? I thought those were OEM only.
Got a new psu. Its working fine, the old one was faulty.
The Ryzen 3500 was released in the Indian market as a retail unit. Now it has been replaced with the 3500x.