How to Keep Track of Exspenses?!

mad0maxx

Feb 3, 2006
How do you all keep track of all your daily exspenses?

Do you carry a checkbook ledger, pocketbook, write them down at home, etc?

I have been tring to think of the easiest way to keep track of my exspenses without carrying something so bulky. So I thought my cell phone had an app for that but nope! :(

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
I mostly use online banking, but if I need to come up with numbers that also include things like the cost of food, gas, and other miscellaneous stuff then I will throw together an Excel spreadsheet.

If you are looking for something that you can carry with you then you can look into a smart phone or some kind of PDA. If you are like me and would rather carry nothing then use your debit/credit card more instead of cash so that it gets logged in your online bank account.

jupiter57

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2001
Me, I stick the receipts in my pocket, empty them on the counter when I get home, then about every other month or so I gather them up, total them, & put it all down on my Expense report.
Real casual, and yes, I lose some receipts along the way, plus I can't remember a lot of them so I'm unsure whether or not to turn them in.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have never had any trouble remembering and recording what I spent when I get home. If it's a meaningful amount of money I have a receipt anyway, and what I don't have receipts for (vending machine, etc.) I can estimate well enough.

If I couldn't remember what I spent in a day I'd begin to wonder if I'm spending too much.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
for work? I keep the receipts

for personal spending? I make sure I make more than I spend and don't worry about it.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
you should be able to keep track of how much you spent in the day to enter in on your computer at night.

Cal166

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
Document everything, keep receipts, file appropriately, and use Excel.

I do try to keep the receipts but some one the ones that restaurants gives out fades away after a few months and when it's time for doing my taxes, it's hard to read it.