How to Install Windows 8 w/o Prior Version?

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
I am trying to install Windows 8 (via Parallels) using this version:

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-System...ords=Windows+8

It seemed like it should be for new installs, but when I get to the point of entering my key I am told the key is not valid. I can only assume this is because it's the same old crap where you need to be upgrading from a pervious version of Windows.

Do I need to start with Win7 then go to Win8.

I hate Windows, but Excel is still much better. This is why I stopped using Windows in the first place (along with the crappy machines it comes installed on).

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
I bought a key from my campus webstore, but their installer wouldn't work for me. The link they gave me was invalid. So, I downloaded the iso from another source. I used the bootcamp utility to install. Apple includes a key to get you through install process and I was able to enter my upgrade key once Windows 8 was installed and it activated perfectly fine. Parallels is different though, but Bootcamp may be another option for you.

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
I pulled out my old Digital River version of Windows 8 so I am going to start there. I did manage to install the Eval Win8 that Parallels has for download, but got an error about not having the right version of Win8 when trying to use my disk for install.

Win8 is weird, but I paid for it so I may as well at least try.

This just makes me appreciate how easy OSX installs and upgrades are.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
The lack of retail available versions of Windows 8 is one reason I haven't yet taken the plunge. I reinstall often enough that going back to a Windows 7 install first is not really practical. So if you work out how to do it can you let me know.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
I do not know the legality of it, but there are iso's available to install the Pro version. They aren't cracked or anything, you still have to activate it. However, it makes it as easy as Win 7 was to install. My legit pro key worked great to activate it. A lot of places are only giving people access to an installer that only works within Win 7/Vista. This will not work for people that need to do a custom install, but DO own a copy of Win 7.

I wish MS simply gave out an iso on their site for people with non-traditional install needs.

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
Thanks. I'll look into the ISO for download.

I got Win7 installed and may just leave that and be happy and try to sell my Win8. I can't upgrade within Win7 (in Parallels) and Parallels doesn't see the Win7 when I start my Win8 install.

Maybe I'll get to get a second standalone VM running via the ISO download approach.

The issue is it keeps telling me my key isn't right. In Win7 you skip that, fix the registry, etc. But no such luck with Win8.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
That's the right version of Windows 8; System Builder is a full version. So I have no idea why you're running into any issues. Are you sure you're typing the key in correctly?

Your best bet would be to call Microsoft. Perhaps they can tell you what's going on.

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
That's the right version of Windows 8; System Builder is a full version. So I have no idea why you're running into any issues. Are you sure you're typing the key in correctly?

Your best bet would be to call Microsoft. Perhaps they can tell you what's going on.

I may do that, but somehow I felt like they'd give me crap about using parallels (I may leave that out) because it should have no bearing. I will try it again, but I checked and rechecked the key several times.

The reason I set out of to find the system builder copy was because I didn't want to deal with the DigitalRiver/Win7 crap again.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
I may do that, but somehow I felt like they'd give me crap about using parallels (I may leave that out) because it should have no bearing. I will try it again, but I checked and rechecked the key several times.

The reason I set out of to find the system builder copy was because I didn't want to deal with the DigitalRiver/Win7 crap again.
If in doubt, you can also use the online PID checker to make sure the key is what it should be.

http://d-fault.nl/PIDCheck.aspx

That will decode the key and tell you what edition it's for and what licensing type.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
MSDN media will accept upgrade keys, so I'd start there. You might have to call to have your install activated though.