How to hook up my Linksys E3000 router with the New Uverse Internet Gateway

donfm

Mar 9, 2003
I hope this is the right forum for this. I just upgraded from ATT DSL service to ATT Uverse Internet. Att provides a new proprietary gateway modem for this service that you must use. 2Wire 3801HGV-B

The issue is I have a Linksys E3000 wireless router I want to use after the ATT modem and I don't know exactly how to set it up to play nicely with the new gateway modem. The new Gateway has wireless so apparently I need to turn off the wireless in the ATT modem in order to use my E3000 router.

Can anyone shed any light on the best way to configure my Linksys E300O with this new modem?

Last edited:

donfm

Mar 9, 2003
which "modem" do you have? A 380x or nvg510?

2Wire 3801HGV-B

I think I may have found a link to how to hook this thing up. It's not the exact same gateway but I think the procedure is the same....

http://www.sbbala.com/uverse/

Looks like it depends on which device I want to use for my wireless connection as to how to proceed.

Last edited:

ScottMac

Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member
Mar 19, 2001
2Wire 3801HGV-B

I think I may have found a link to how to hook this thing up. It's not the exact same gateway but I think the procedure is the same....

Looks like it depends on which device I want to use for my wireless connection as to how to proceed.

Exactly right.

Basically if you want to use ONLY the SOHO router/AP, shut down the wireless on the RG (3801), and the DHCP or other services on the SOHO (DHCP should be issued from the RG as much as possible) and plug LAN-to-LAN. This makes the wireless-enabled router into an AP.

You can use both devices (RG and SOHO router) for wireless if you want, but they should be on different channels (pick two of 1, 6, or 11), and only the RG should be used for DHCP.

IF you plug the WAN port of the SOHO router into the LAN port of the RG, then the SOHO router gets a WAN address from the RG but you should set the SOHO router to issue addresses on the LAN side to something OTHER THAN the default 192.168.1.0 network (192.168.2.0, whatever). However, doing this subjects the SOHO router's LAN traffic to "double NATing" which breaks some encryption ... not generally recommended.

NXIL

Apr 14, 2005
Hi, I have the same Uverse (scruVerse? Actually the service has been very good....) and have a "router behind the router".

I think I used this guide to set it up:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/AT-T-UVERSE-Networking,review-1605-3.html

Basically, you are turning your non-3801 unit into a switch, not a router (and yes, wireless will still work).

Both my 3801 and secondary router have their wireless networks running. (I live in a long house--so second router is at far end.)

If you have any trouble getting it set up, reply here, or PM is fine too--

Take care

donfm

Mar 9, 2003
Exactly right.

Basically if you want to use ONLY the SOHO router/AP, shut down the wireless on the RG (3801), and the DHCP or other services on the SOHO (DHCP should be issued from the RG as much as possible) and plug LAN-to-LAN. This makes the wireless-enabled router into an AP.

You can use both devices (RG and SOHO router) for wireless if you want, but they should be on different channels (pick two of 1, 6, or 11), and only the RG should be used for DHCP.

IF you plug the WAN port of the SOHO router into the LAN port of the RG, then the SOHO router gets a WAN address from the RG but you should set the SOHO router to issue addresses on the LAN side to something OTHER THAN the default 192.168.1.0 network (192.168.2.0, whatever). However, doing this subjects the SOHO router's LAN traffic to "double NATing" which breaks some encryption ... not generally recommended.

Thanks for the suggestion and the help....

donfm

Mar 9, 2003
Hi, I have the same Uverse (scruVerse? Actually the service has been very good....) and have a "router behind the router".

I think I used this guide to set it up:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/AT-T-UVERSE-Networking,review-1605-3.html

Basically, you are turning your non-3801 unit into a switch, not a router (and yes, wireless will still work).

Both my 3801 and secondary router have their wireless networks running. (I live in a long house--so second router is at far end.)

If you have any trouble getting it set up, reply here, or PM is fine too--

Take care

Thank you I was away on business for a week and tomorrow I'm going to try and get it all working. I will report back....:)

donfm

Mar 9, 2003
Now after going round and around with ATT trying to get Uverse to get a faster internet speed they recanted and said they can simply increase my present DSL Speed. This after they told me absolutely not they couldn't give me faster DSL like everybody else can get. This was obviously a ploy to get me to sign up for Uverse services. I have been told outright lies by ATT tech support and customer service people. I am so angry right now!! What a crappy company. I only wish I had another option for my home phone.

ScottMac

Mar 19, 2001
donfm: Uverse (both data only and their triple-play offering) use a different encoding and have much higher max rates than traditional DSL.

Much of the max rate has to do with distance to the DSLAM and cable quality, both of which can only really be checked from your premises. Te strongest statement someone on teh phone could give you is "according to the distance, you *should* get at least X mbps of throughput, possibly up to Y mbps."

But, again, only a tech operating from your end of the connection can provide an accurate measurement of actual throughput.

donfm

Mar 9, 2003
donfm: Uverse (both data only and their triple-play offering) use a different encoding and have much higher max rates than traditional DSL.

Much of the max rate has to do with distance to the DSLAM and cable quality, both of which can only really be checked from your premises. Te strongest statement someone on teh phone could give you is "according to the distance, you *should* get at least X mbps of throughput, possibly up to Y mbps."

But, again, only a tech operating from your end of the connection can provide an accurate measurement of actual throughput.

ATT has the ability to test the line quality from the main office because that is what they did.

No tech has ever come to my home and they are now giving me a faster 6Mbps maximum DSL connection as they should have in the first place. I was originally told long ago by the installer that I was very close to the digital distribution point so I should get excellent speeds. They can run a test on your line from the main office and determine if you are eligible or they can lie and tell you that you are not and try and sign you up for more expensive Uverse. That is what happened in my case according to tier 2 tech support at ATT although he did not admit they lied because he couldn't. He just stated I was eligible for an increased speed DSL connection. Apparently my DSL line was fine for increased speed only their marketing department wanted me on Uverse. Caveat Emptor!

I was further told the Uverse internet is just DSL riding on a higher digital carrier frequency...they even use the same old DSL line filters on the phones in your house......I think he said a 7.8 Mhz carrier but don't quote me on that number.

Last edited:

ScottMac

Mar 19, 2001
ATT has the ability to test the line quality from the main office because that is what they did.

No tech has ever come to my home and they are now giving me a faster 6Mbps maximum DSL connection as they should have in the first place. I was originally told long ago by the installer that I was very close to the digital distribution point so I should get excellent speeds. They can run a test on your line from the main office and determine if you are eligible or they can lie and tell you that you are not and try and sign you up for more expensive Uverse. Apparently my DSL line was fine for increased speed only their marketing department wanted me on Uverse. Caveat Emptor!

donfm: THe kinds of test done remotely between the DSLAM and the Modem are different than the kinds of tests a tech can do from the site. He/she does not need to come into your house, or even let you know he's there ... the tech can do everything from the NID on the side of the house. They can also run many tests from the DSLAM end of the connection. Whether they did or not, I don't know ... but it has been done that way
at least a couple times that I know of (and have had personal association with).

Just to keep the record straight, I work for AT&T in the Uverse group. Many of your stated observations are, in fact, incorrect, but they are your opinion and I respect them.

donfm

Mar 9, 2003
donfm: THe kinds of test done remotely between the DSLAM and the Modem are different than the kinds of tests a tech can do from the site. He/she does not need to come into your house, or even let you know he's there ... the tech can do everything from the NID on the side of the house. They can also run many tests from the DSLAM end of the connection. Whether they did or not, I don't know ... but it has been done that way
at least a couple times that I know of (and have had personal association with).

Just to keep the record straight, I work for AT&T in the Uverse group. Many of your stated observations are, in fact, incorrect, but they are your opinion and I respect them.

I apologize if I sounded argumentative. I was only stating exactly what I was told directly by numerous ATT customer service representatives....and tier 1 & 2 tech support individuals after spending literally 4 hours on the phone with them. If there is any error in my perception it is solely based upon incorrect information I was given by ATT support personnel. I have to say they have a lot of support people employed who have a tenuous grasp at best about the technology they sell. I was given directly conflicting information by several support individuals about my DSL service availability. Perhaps it was unfair to say they lied. Perhaps they are just poorly trained on the Uverse product.

All I wanted was to get increased DSL speed so my son could do his homework. What I got was a dog and pony show from ATT trying to sell me Uverse. I have a technical background having worked for Tellabs so I am somewhat familiar with how the phone distribution system works.

If what you say is true about the DSL line testing procedure, how were they able to guarantee me faster DSL service over the phone without sending out a tech to my house to test the line?

Anyway I'm done with this discussion there is nothing further to be gained here. Thanks for taking the time to comment Scott. :)

Last edited:

ScottMac

Mar 19, 2001
No problem.

I can't dispute that there are more than a few folks on the phone that could use some education. I believe that you had some unfortunate experiences, and I'll mention it up the line at my next opportunity.

Should you have any additional issues, feel free to ask for an escalation ... they shouldn't give you any flak, and you are more likely to get someone that is more technically astute.

Sorry for the problems. I hope your next experience is more satisfying.

(The opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect, in any way, the positions or policies of my company)

codyray10

Apr 14, 2008
Is there any benefit to replacing ATT's wireless router/AP with a linksys wireless router? I'm sort of in the same boat as donfm. I have a spare linksys wireless router that I used prior to getting ATT UVERSE, I just never got around to looking into how to get it configured properly.

donfm

Mar 9, 2003
Is there any benefit to replacing ATT's wireless router/AP with a linksys wireless router? I'm sort of in the same boat as donfm. I have a spare linksys wireless router that I used prior to getting ATT UVERSE, I just never got around to looking into how to get it configured properly.

I did not have the opportunity to look into the features of the router portion of the ATT Wireless Gateway since I cancelled Uverse in lieu of faster DSL but it basically performs the same functions as any stand alone wireless N router as far as I know. Unless you specifically need the features of your Linksys then I would say no there is no advantage unless you need more wired Lan ports. I only wanted to keep my old router because I was familiar with it's operation and I did not want to learn how to reconfigure a new ATT router. I was lazy. :)

As posted above the link below should explain how to hook up your Linksys with the Uverse Gateway

Last edited: