How to get your articles published?

Literati

Golden Member
Jan 13, 2005
I'm looking to write and publish some articles.

The problem is, I can't find any good freelance writing resources. They all seem to be stuffed with junk ads, and promise me that I will be making thousands sitting at home being my own boss, in just 2 weeks, along with other things of the same sort.

And this is why I come to you ATOT, and ask for your help. I was wondering if anyone has any good resources on freelance writing?

Whether it be through your own experience, or if you're just knowledgable on the subject.

Hell I'll even take some insults as to me spelling the previous knowledgeable wrong and that I'll never get anything published with writing like this, as I'd actually feel I'd be getting somewhere at the moment.

desteffy

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2004
What kind of "articles"? Scientific results, political essyas, film reviews?

There are a lot of different types of articles that have very different routes to publication.

Literati

Golden Member
Jan 13, 2005
Originally posted by: desteffy

There are a lot of different types of articles that have very different routes to publication.

Oh really? My apologies, I thought or rather assumed the publication processes would be similar.

This is where it gets funny, I'd like to write articles on just about anything. Except for subjects that are overly technical. I don't much care for those.

For example I'd be interested in maybe writing an article on an artist, or maybe introspective articles and the like. Whether it be self analysis, lessons learned in life or just how to go about appreciating little things in life.

Maybe an article on how photography as slowed me down a bit and brought to my attention things I think the average person misses on a daily basis and has given me, as well as others a bit more appreciation of the world we live in.

Things of this sort which I'm not sure can be generally categorized as any one particular type of subject. I'd just like to write on things I like, which I guess isn't doing much to help you help me.

I'm just looking for serious information on getting published, for any type of article, whatever you have or know, as I'm sure I can use information from any and all sources.

chambersc

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005
Originally posted by: Literati

Oh really? My apologies, I thought or rather assumed the publication processes would be similar.

This is where it gets funny, I'd like to write articles on just about anything. Except for subjects that are overly technical. I don't much care for those.

For example I'd be interested in maybe writing an article on an artist, or maybe introspective articles and the like. Whether it be self analysis, lessons learned in life or just how to go about appreciating little things in life.

Maybe an article on how photography as slowed me down a bit and brought to my attention things I think the average person misses on a daily basis and has given me, as well as others a bit more appreciation of the world we live in.

Things of this sort which I'm not sure can be generally categorized as any one particular type of subject. I'd just like to write on things I like, which I guess isn't doing much to help you help me.

I'm just looking for serious information on getting published, for any type of article, whatever you have or know, as I'm sure I can use information from any and all sources.
Oh, so you're not talking about getting scholarly published but merely some trash magazine that one would only use as an umbrella in the rain?

Literati

Golden Member
Jan 13, 2005
Originally posted by: chambersc
Oh, so you're not talking about getting scholarly published but merely some trash magazine that one would only use as an umbrella in the rain?

I would not be opposed to getting published in magazines.

Literati

Golden Member
Jan 13, 2005
No information on getting articles published in general?

Only one terribly executed troll attack?

ATOT seems to be a bit soft today.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Have you taken any journalism classes? Might be worth your while to just take something at a local community college if not.

Otherwise, the type of articles you're talking about, you need to start submitting to magazines. You can usually find submission guidelines on their websites. It'll probably take a while to get published, and then you'll need to be published fairly frequently to gain a bit of a reputation and make it easier to sell things. Obviously syndication is the holy grail of columnists, but it also could be possible to get a small local regular column after you've built up enough of a name for yourself.

Parasitic

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2002
Scientific publishing is different and usually there's a somebody who'd handle all those affairs.
Journalists also have their own way of dealing with these affairs.
Seeing how ATOT is more or less technical you might have the wrong crowd.

desteffy

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2004
Originally posted by: Parasitic
Scientific publishing is different and usually there's a somebody who'd handle all those affairs.

Yeah, I bet a lot of people here can tell you how to get a scientific paper published, but for what you are doing I have no idea.

chambersc

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005

I'll work on my attacks then. Just for you.

Literati

Golden Member
Jan 13, 2005
Originally posted by: HotChic
Have you taken any journalism classes? Might be worth your while to just take something at a local community college if not.

Otherwise, the type of articles you're talking about, you need to start submitting to magazines. You can usually find submission guidelines on their websites. It'll probably take a while to get published, and then you'll need to be published fairly frequently to gain a bit of a reputation and make it easier to sell things. Obviously syndication is the holy grail of columnists, but it also could be possible to get a small local regular column after you've built up enough of a name for yourself.

I have not taken any journalism classes. However the papers I have wrote in college have been very well praised and several have been used to illustrate the quality of work they are looking for from their students, and in doing so, are still used to this day as examples I believe, as to what kind of papers they are looking for.

I still can't walk past my old English teacher without her pulling me into the class and introducing me to her students as the person that wrote that paper that she tells everyone about.

So I've never actually went out of my way to learn how to write, but I guess I've always kind of knew I have a knack for it, and I'd like to see if I can't put it to work in some way as I do genuinely enjoy writing.

I've also never actively pursued the possibility of writing up until recently, thus my complete lack of knowledge on the subject as a whole.

I also agree it sounds like I'd be making submissions to magazines. It seems to me I might want to just start looking for magazines I can submit to online, and trying to get published in them, and if not, taking a step back and building a foundation of publications to be used as leverage in the future.

Originally posted by: Parasitic

Yeah, I bet a lot of people here can tell you how to get a scientific paper published, but for what you are doing I have no idea.

Point well taken.

Literati

Golden Member
Jan 13, 2005

I'll work on my attacks then. Just for you.

That's exactly your problem, you need to work on your attacks, not for me but for yourself.

This one was no better a showing then the last.

Good luck.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
do you want to get paid for these articles?

i'm not sure what kind of magazines would pay for (or even publish for free) the types articles you want to write. no offense, but no one knows who you are, so why should they care what you have to say or that something affected your life in a certain way?

Literati

Golden Member
Jan 13, 2005
No offense taken, I understand.

Well it depends, if there's assignments to be done that I have an interest in, I can and probably will do those as well. I'd like to write across the board about everything of interest to me which is actually a very broad range of subjects.

Those were more-so just bad examples of maybe what I'd prefer, to try and get the ball rolling on some sort of resource suggestions.

Ultimately I'd like to be paid, for sure.

As for me being a nobody in the writing world, I understand that as well. I figure a well written article or story speaks for itself. It may or may not be enough but I'm willing to put in the effort and time to find out.

Everybody's got to start somewhere, and the internet, ATOT included, is where I'm starting.

ATOT may not be the best resource in the world for freelance writing advice, but it does have enough people with enough opinions to get certain subjects a bit more cleared up.

SonnyDaze

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2004

Oh, than try Penthouse Forum. :)

Literati

Golden Member
Jan 13, 2005
Originally posted by: marulee
Tomorrow's my ATOT birthday, throw me a bone.

lol

pay money to revise then pay money to print.. fairly simple.. :D

I have to spend money to work?

This seems to be turning out sweeter than I had originally thought!

Literati

Golden Member
Jan 13, 2005
Originally posted by: SonnyDaze

Oh, than try Penthouse Forum. :)

You sir, are a genius!

Penthouse hmmmm.. I think my first article will be "How To Get Creative With Bagels"

Ultrasonic

Dec 8, 1999
There's a book called "Writer's Market" that's released every year and can be found in any library. It's got information about which magazines (or other resources) purchase articles, how much they pay, what they're looking for etc. Very good book and is probably just what you're looking for.

amazon search: click here

Literati

Golden Member
Jan 13, 2005
Ultrasonic thank you!

Amazon.com...
Thanks for your order!
We'll send you an e-mail confirmation shortly.

I'm on it!