Question How to get wifi internet onto a closed ethernet connection - with only a router and ethernet adapter computers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jurugi

Aug 1, 2019
I have seen some terms such as wired bridge mode, Wired Access Point, WAP, thrown around, people saying it's impossible, and tons of useless articles on how to 'broadcast' or 'extend' a wifi network. Usually, this will fit everyone's needs.

It would be ideal to emulate putting the ethernet cable into the input or 1stslot of the switch/router and thus give the wired computers all internet access, but add internet through a Wifi access point (using the router or switch, and just feeding it thru the router one time). What is this called nowadays and how can you do it using only a router?

note: I am aware you can also set up a windows bridge in about 3 different ways to connect to Wifi while on an internet-less ethernet router; using both the ethernet and wireless adapters. I want the ethernet router computers with no internet to all 'get internet' from wifi, in the same way as plugging in a wired modem or internet source to slot0 or input of a wired router. I don't want a no-internet network and then an internet wireless connection to simply grab internet because the prioritization breaks some badlly made software I have to work with. It does not work well with multiple adapters or windows bridging w/ a dead ethernet network and a live wifi network simultaneously.

This would be ideal in some way if there's no wired connection available, to just configure it on the router, and I am aware it's probably not the best solution to do it there, but I want to know if it can be done,
Ty

Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
What's that badly made software that will break because of the network prioritization ?

Windows will simply pick the network adapter that has higher priority. And why do you want to bridge wired & wifi adapters? Don't really know what you want to achieve? Your description was too vague to understand.

If you don't want connected devices to the router to get internet, just don't plugin cable into the WAN port.

==

Re-read your post and maybe you only want to to give internet access to wireless devices/computers , but not wired devices/computers?

Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
You are too late to delete your insulting post.

Calling someone who wants to help retarded with your 1st post in the forum?
Don't know who is retarded?

If you are so smart, why don't you fix the Python script yourself instead asking help here?

jurugi

Aug 1, 2019
You are not helpful or useful.

Here is my post wihch was not deleted by me:

It's a guy's python scripts; I am not going to put the effort to fix someone else's crap unless I have time later. He has no support for 'multiple adapters' or windows adapter bridging, it just has to be 1 or the other; and it also 'breaks' with no internet connection.

I want only the one ethernet network, and feed wifi internet access to it. As I CLEARLY said, It would be ideal to ""emulate"" putting the ethernet cable into the input or 1stslot of the switch/router and thus give the wired computers all internet access. Thus when you look at your ethernet network, it now says "Internet access" for all the wired connected computers. I do not want simultaneous type of connections.

I want to give all wired computers internet access by connecting to a wireless SSID point 'on the router'. I also figure it will be nice to know if some routers basically have this feature somewhere, even as weird or badly configured as it sounds. If you don't understand by now it will be impossible for you.

Thx for the big non-help answer as expected, rather than a point in the right direction, which I am slowly reaching already. Thanks for talking about who is retarded and not give a shred of help. If you can't answer just 'go to some easier or noob post' where you can do so.. do not start your useless flaming kiddo. "I am 'only' interested in what routers have this ability, not your opinion and lack of ability to fix it."

The post history shows it was you. We don't allow insults
in the tech areas.

If you want help with question, drop the attitude and the
use of "retarded" in a derogatory manner.

AT Mod Usandthem

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.