How to get rid of nVidia Drivers?

TheCableGuy

Jun 8, 2000
I upgraded to a Radeon 9700Pro from a GeForce3, but my my registry is riddled with Nvidia throughout as display adapter, and when I search for 9700, Radeon, or ATI Corp, I can't find anything ( I started a search for ati, but that would of taken all day - navigation, etc.). Here's the steps I used to install:

1. Uninstall nVidia Detonator drivers from Add/Remove

2. Reboot Machine

3. Remove display adapter from device manager.

4. Shutdown Machine

5. Install Radeon, power up, and install drivers.

I have WinXP, and have reinstalled XP (not Clean Install)

I am having problems w/ Max Payne, Dungeon Siege, etc, and am wondering if this has anything to do with that.

P.S. I have the 6178 ATI drivers, newest bios, newest AGP drivers. I've already run through all the hardware T/S steps.

Just being lazy I guess; I want to know if there's a quick fix before formatting and re-installing everything.

Thanks,
TheCableGuy

BoomAM

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2001
hi,
try searching for a registary cleaner.
theres one called "regcleaner" that i use and is compatible with XP.
also, search your registary for;
bart
krusty
marge
homer
nvtweak
coolbits
nvidia
these are all that i can remember so far but it might help.

have a look on the ATI website. i think theres a small direct3d patch that you can download that sorts out some games.

and it may be obvious, but Download, the latest MoBo drivers, ATI Drivers, Sound & Service Pack 1. then (even if youve already done it)
disable an antivirus stuff. trust me, it does affect driver installation sometimes.
Install Service Pack 1.
Install the ATI Drivers
Install the sound Drivers
Install the MoBo Drivers.

i dont know what speed connection you have but on a 56k connection, Service Pack 1 takes about 2hours45mins to download.

also, i am considering upgrading my GF3Ti200@230/510 to a 9700 PRO. in the games that do work, whats the difference between the two card? worth upgrading too?

Hope this helps your problem.

TheCableGuy

Jun 8, 2000
Thanks BoomAM,

The main reason I upgraded was for 2d Quality, and the ability to play games with AA and Anis filter on. My FPS are higher with quality settings maxxed out with the 9700 Pro @ stock speed, than with my GF3 overclocked with settings @ low.

Hope that helps!

TheCableGuy

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
After uninstall of Nvidia drivers and reboot,you can also remove the Nvidia folder and its contents from Windows Explorer as well.

BoomAM

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2001
no prob "TheCableGuy".
think of yourself as my test platform for when i upgrade to 9700pro. lol

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Slickone
Don't know if this will help you or not. Also it doesn't mention WinXP.

Has anyone tried this program with XP Pro yet? I am thinking about upgrading to a 9700 Pro but don't want to have to reinstall all my stuff on my harddrive.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
search your HD for anything saying nv and look at the filename and delete all the files not important for the system to run.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Search the registry for "nVidia" and "GeForce" and delete anything you find. Then search your HD for "nv*" files and delete anything you find (careful, some are genuine Microsoft files). Don't worry about files in the Windows driver cache.