How to get into BF Bad Company 2?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
Hey guys; I took some advice here and overall it has helped my game. The main thing is to stick with my squadmates (though it isn't possible all of the time). The other thing was to not rush in with vehicles. Better to let my team clear out the area ahead first.

I did have a chance to pick up some of the higher level kits off the ground and experiment with them. I have to say the low level kits truly are useless in comparison. With the higher level kits I was able to get kills left and right. I was amazed at how big the difference was. I guess I am used to BLOPS/MW where a level 1 character can compete with a level 50 easily.

At any rate I've been enjoying the game more. There are still frustrating moments, like spawning with your squad just to be blown up 2 seconds later, but overall I'm enjoying it. Still looking forward to playing BF3 in a few days though. :D

ss284

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Once you get the carl gustav and explosive spec, things become a lot easier.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Magnum ammo is really the only upgrade that makes the guns not suck. The avtomat with magnum ammo is the best gun in the game.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
Magnum ammo? No wonder other players are able to drop me quickly. I'm definitely going to use that specialization when I reach level 15.

GoStumpy

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2011
Can't wait to try this out tonight, finally downloaded at 1:30am last night...err.. this morning... and I had to get up for work at 6:15am... Didn't have much time to play it ;)

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
As far as I'm concerned the Battlefield games have been ruined by the rank/unlock system. Now it's like an MMO where people that started earlier and play more get all the best gear, and casual players who haven't ranked up are just fodder. It shouldn't be like that in a game like this.

It wouldn't be so bad if there was a way to match people of similar ranks. I remember playing COD on the 360 console and people were auto-assigned to servers based on rank. Makes for a better game and everyone has a chance. To have a rank system and not have anything in place to match people of similar level is a complete fail.

Almost makes me want to go back to BF2. Everyone in BF2 was on the same footing and had the same choice of gear. As a casual player I still could do halfway decent and have fun, even when up against people who play the game way too much.

M0oG0oGaiPan

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
digitalgamedeals.com
The starting guns are actually pretty good. The addons do help a little bit but a lower level player can still focus on dropping health packs/healing vehicles until they unlock some equips.

Starting with health packs is pretty nice. I think you had to unlock it in bc2. Same thing with repair tool.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
At least I will be getting BF3 day 1. I should be on equal footing (at least rank wise) as the other players.

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
The starting guns are actually pretty good. The addons do help a little bit but a lower level player can still focus on dropping health packs/healing vehicles until they unlock some equips.

Starting with health packs is pretty nice. I think you had to unlock it in bc2. Same thing with repair tool.

the m24 is good if you like sniper but all those other guns without a 4x scope is a little tough.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
the m24 is good if you like sniper but all those other guns without a 4x scope is a little tough.
lol, I'm currently level 32 and I never use a scope.

I tried it once when I unlocked it and didn't like it. I wonder if my stats would get better if I use it.

Last edited:

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
I'm getting my ass kicked... a lot.

Kill/Death ratio is 0.14 :(
Have any friends you could play with in a squad using voice chat? Team work will help immensely, but you won't really find it in pub matches.

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
I'm getting my ass kicked... a lot.

Kill/Death ratio is 0.14 :(

Look for a noob server. I'm pretty much same as you and was ready to give up but I found a server that says "nobody over rank 28" and finally I'm having a little fun with the game, not just getting massacred every time.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
Look for a noob server. I'm pretty much same as you and was ready to give up but I found a server that says "nobody over rank 28" and finally I'm having a little fun with the game, not just getting massacred every time.
I really don't understand why the noob servers I see have such high level caps though, as there is nothing stopping a level 28 from destroying level 50's. They both have everything important unlocked at that point, and have been playing the game for over a hundred hours.

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
lol, I'm currently level 32 and I never use a scope.

I tried it once when I unlocked it and didn't like it. I wonder if my stats would get better if I use it.

You would prolly like a scope, the only times I don't use one is that medic gun that comes with a scope and when I need extra explosives.. mines or whatever.

If you're engineer, try p2000 with scope. That little pea shooter is deadly.

http://bfbcs.com/stats_pc/SubZero2040

Last edited:

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
How well I go really depends on what server, and what map I happen to get on. In some matched my KD ratio is above 2.0 and I am one of the top scorers on my team. Other matches I can't get anywhere near the objectives, I just continually get killed from half way across the map. I find heavy metal, and harvest day particularly bad for that. There aren't a lot of places for cover so you are just sniper fodder while trying to get to the objectives.

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
I really don't understand why the noob servers I see have such high level caps though, as there is nothing stopping a level 28 from destroying level 50's. They both have everything important unlocked at that point, and have been playing the game for over a hundred hours.

Yeah, it would be better to have 1-15 rank server or something like that, ideally EA should have official servers for lower rank players, but this is the best we've got. I find that most ppl on the server are 10-20 and I have an easier time playing there. Of course it's just honor system, there was a rank 48 guy there the other day, but his score wasn't so hot so I didn't get on his case.

Jan 13, 2009
Hey guys; I took some advice here and overall it has helped my game. The main thing is to stick with my squadmates (though it isn't possible all of the time). The other thing was to not rush in with vehicles. Better to let my team clear out the area ahead first.

This would be great strategy in a real firefight situation, and I'm hoping that this game will force people to play in a more realistic way instead of running around like idiots and hopping like rabbits. That is so aggravating.

On a rant, there's no telling how many times I've seen people watch enemies take out their teammates just so they can get close enough for a knife kill. A sane person would never do that in a real firefight situation, and I'm hoping that this game brings more of that realism.

I know that's just a hope and a dream, but I can hope, can't I?

EDIT: When I said "this game", I was referring to BF3. I actually haven't played BC2 yet.

Last edited:

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
One thing I like about BC2 is that the knifing is quite slow. It annoyed me at first, but now that I'm used to it I like the fact you really need to sneak up behind someone in order for it to work. Prevents "knife ninjas" like you see in games like MW2 and BLOPS.

Jan 13, 2009
One thing I like about BC2 is that the knifing is quite slow. It annoyed me at first, but now that I'm used to it I like the fact you really need to sneak up behind someone in order for it to work. Prevents "knife ninjas" like you see in games like MW2 and BLOPS.

I REALLY need to try BC2.

I always heard not to bring a knife to a gunfight, but the COD series (which I love, BTW) makes it a little too easy.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
I love both COD and Battlefield. I could never understand people that hate on one series over the other. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. That said I am super hyped for BF3 this year. MW3 I will probably pick up later on sale.

GoStumpy

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2011
Any tips on how to find a good server to play on? All the advice I have is to find a newbie-oriented server, play in a group, find a squad... As the only one of my friends that has a computer capable of playing BC2, I don't know anyone in the game..yet..