How to get cigarette smell out of leather couch??

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
First the god news ... picked up a used leather living room set (couch, big cozy chair, footrest) cheap ... $550, and it's in great shape. But now that I have it home & in my house, I notice a very faint cigarette smell on it. Didn't notice any cigarette smell in the house where I got it, and it's definitely something I looked for, but it's here now :(

It's not bad really ... nothing I can't live with, but any tips?

Or tips in general for caring for leather furniture. I've never had any before. In particular, any way to seal it/make it more stain resistant (two small kids in the house!)
Thanks

shimsham

Lifer
May 9, 2002
febreeze maybe?

not sure if it would work on leather. whatever you use, make sure to test it in an out of sight spot first to make sure it wont discolor it.

Wipe all the sufaces down with mink oil, this will remove the smell and soften the leather.

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
this is why I dont buy used furniture that is leather or padded...

u cant really clean it..

imagine what the prev owner did on top of it..

DONT USE a black light to check for protein!! :D

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
Thanks Roger ... the rest of you folks are sure a barrel of laughs ...
rolleye.gif
:)

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
If the people were heavy smokers, it will be on the inside as well.
Turn it over carefully take the dust cover off the bottom. Wipe down every surface with a strong cleaner, windex, simple green, etc. and then maybe take febreeze to the padding. You will need a staple gun to re-attach the dust cover.
Good luck, hth.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Febreze the fabric on the bottoms, maybe pull it off & spray the stuff on the underside of the foam.

Baking Soda will actually absorb the odors, maybe a box of it with holes punched in the side placed in the lining before re stapling (very cheap BTW).

Finally, fabric softener sheets stuffed between the cushions for a few months.

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: z0mb13
this is why I dont buy used furniture that is leather or padded...

u cant really clean it..

imagine what the prev owner did on top of it..

DONT USE a black light to check for protein!! :D

:Q

Cheers z0mb13 :beer: