How to get CD from pc onto minidisc using sp (not lp2)?

vroom1810

Nov 10, 2003
Hi...I was wondering if anyone knows how to get a commercial audio cd onto a Sony net md without having to resort to using lp2....using the OpenMG Jukebox supplied software. It seems you can't get the "regular" (sp) atrac compression onto the md....only lp2 or lp4. Is there another program that would do this? OpenMG only gives the 2 choices...lp2 or lp4. thanks, for any help....robert

stevewm

Dec 6, 2001
Nope, you cant.

This is a copyright protection limitation. The only thing that can be recorded in SP is stuff recorded in REAL TIME via the analog input on the MD recorder.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the crippled MD format :)

vroom1810

Nov 10, 2003
Well that s*cks! I'm wondering to which mp3 bitrate lp2 would correspond to then? You would think that if you put a cd onto minidisc using their sp atrac mode that would be ok since it wouldn't be a direct digital copy....since it uses atrac compression!

edit: but if you did copy a cd via the analog input , that would still be better quality than lp2, right? And probably better than a high mp3 bitrate (whatever that would be).

lazybum131

Apr 4, 2003
I guess ur MD doesn't have an optical in for recording? If it does just hook it up to a CD/DVD player that has optical out and record in real time.
That's how i record for my pre-NetMD recorder, doesn't bother me using a standalone older DVD player to record while i'm doing other things.

vroom1810

Nov 10, 2003
I got Simple Burner confused with OpenMG, that's what i tried with a cd....Simple Burner won't let you record in sp, just lp2 and lp4. OpenMG won't let you either. They both came with the minidisc (net md) unit. Yes, i do have optical "in" on the minidisc unit, so i will at least be able (i hope) to do it using using my stand-alone dvd player since it has optical "out"(thanks for the tip on that). I'll have to double check to make sure i have the "right" optical cables. I think i only have one, so not sure right now if the end connectors will allow me to connect with it, but i know there are optical cables/connectors that are available to do it. I guess there's no way to do it on your pc unless you have an optical "out" on the pc audio card (which i don't). thanks, all, for the input.

edit: i must say, that the lp2 does sound pretty good to me. I'll have to do a comparision between lp2 (i doubt i'll ever use lp4) and the "regular" sp atrac compression to see how much of a difference i notice. Of course, opting for sp via a dvd player and the optical input of the minidisc unit will have to be done in real time, which is kind of a drag....especially since i want to put alot of my cds onto minidisc....but if the sound quality is very noticible between lp2 and "regular" sp i'll go ahead and do it via the dvd player, otherwise i'll use Simple Burner and use lp2.

edit: looks like the only optical cable has a squar kind of plug on both ends. Any one know where i can get an inexpensive optical cable to hook to the minidisc and a stand-alone dvd player?