How to get a toothpaste cap out of a drain without disassembly?

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
Anything I can do to get out a toothpaste cap blocking a drain short of disassembly?

Thanks!

Sep 12, 2004
Knock it into the P-trap and then unscrew the P-trap compressing fittings (assuming your P-trap isn't soldered) and dump it out. It's probably easier than trying to fish it out.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
Knock it into the P-trap and then unscrew the P-trap compressing fittings (assuming your P-trap isn't soldered) and dump it out. It's probably easier than trying to fish it out.

Agreed. Whenever the kids or wife drop something into the drain, I just roll my eyes, and waste almost a full 2 minutes of time disassembling and reassembling the trap. Unscrew unskrew unskrew, unscrew unscrew unscrew, dump, screw screw screw, screw screw screw. Typing this reply took longer than it would to get something out of the drain.

NoShangriLa

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2006
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
It should be easy to undo the P-trap and dump the content out, and some P-trap are glue type that may have a drain/clean out at the bottom.

The cap shouldn't be a problem on your drain, unless you have a partial clog some where down the line. The water pressure from a full basin should be more than adequate at flushing the cap out off the building drain, and run the cold water tap on full for a few minutes should flush the cap out off the building sewer into the city sewer.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I would just leave it there forever. Maybe when you drop your wedding ring in the sink it will stop it