Question How to force 1440p 60Hz on an integrated GPU that technically doesn't support it?

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Hey folks,

I have a slightly-older AMD Ryzen laptop, with integrated Vega 8 graphics. This is the specific laptop I have: https://www.newegg.com/mystic-silver-huawei-matebook-d-53010crg-mainstream/p/N82E16834324036

My problem is that I'd really like to connect an external 1440p monitor to it, using the built-in HDMI port. Which is totally and completely possible, except.... it seems that it can only do 1440p at 30hz, and not 60hz.

To confirm this, when I go to the advance display settings in Windows, and click "List All Video Modes", when I scroll to the 1440p section, 30Hz is as high as it will go. I cannot make the refresh rate any higher than that. (For the record: it can do 1080p 60Hz just fine. But on any resolutions higher than that, the refresh rate gets cut in half.)

I've tested with various HDMI cables, all of which should technically support 1440p 60hz. I don't think it's a problem with the cable. I don't even think it's a limitation of the HDMI port either; I'm thinking maybe it's a driver issue?

Is there a way to "force" the driver to drive this monitor at 1440p 60hz? Or am I SOL?

Thanks in advance.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
EDID spoofing software:

It is not my fault if you let the magic smoke out.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I'm sorry guys - I just barely found a fix. The fix isn't related to EDID spoofing, or custom resolutions or anything of the sort; but rather, it's related to a phenomenally dumb design decision that Dell made with my monitor model (the P2715Q, specifically).

Apparently on this model of monitor, HDMI 1.4 is forced on by default (instead of HDMI 2.0), and the only way to switch it to HDMI 2.0 is to navigate to a SUPER SECRET HIDDEN MENU THAT ISN'T VISIBLE AT ALL IN THE MONITOR'S REGULAR MENU OPTIONS. I would have had absolutely zero clue about this setting if I had not looked at Dell's support page.

So, I switched it over to HDMI 2.0, and everything is right with the world now. I can do 1440p60, even 2160p60.

Thanks everyone, and sorry for the trouble.

Reactions: Magic Carpet