How To Do A Case Mod?

Bagheera

Jul 6, 2000
Hey all.

I have a pretty average PC case - not bad (with rails), but not high-end - One problem with my case is the ventilation. The case is bigger than a regular mid-tower, but it only has 2 fan slots, one in the front and one in the back. I want to add a custom intake fan on the side panel, but I have practically no experience in cutting the case and I am afraid of messing it up, so..

Can someone give me an instruction on how to do the mod I want? I don't want anything fancy (clear window paneling, etc), I just want to know how to cut a round, nice-looking hole on the case for additional fans.

Please tell me what tools I will need and if possible, where to get them. Thanks! :)

lsman

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2001
www.flickr.com
to start, there are many more website, search "blow hole" in google.com

you need to decide on what size of fan 80MM? 92MM ? or larger? (larger better because you can use lower speed to have large volume)
or dirt is problem (hence filter)

have to find some gril guard(may be 2 one inside, one outside if you do not use fliter)

some screw (may be #10 or #8, 1 1/2" or longer) with nuts (local Home depot has it for 86cents)
mark the location. Drill the corner for screw. cut out the middle! Dremel is nice toy to have but a hand tool is fine.

Bagheera

Jul 6, 2000
I have a spare 80 mm fan (with fan girll too)... will that be enough? Or should I get a bigger one? My CPU temp is 52 C and Mobo is 30 C (Check my rig profile)... :(

I am not worried about dust because I clean my case often. I do worry about noise though because my CPU fan is way too loud!
Oh and where can I get a dril head that big?

punkrawket

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2001

<< search "blow hole" in google.com >>

carefull about that search ;)

but this may be suited for the Cases and Cooling forums ;)

but anyway.... there are soo many tutorials on how to.. just got to virtual-hideout.net and check their posts for websites and affiliates

as for cutting.... a dremel will work.. so will a metal nibbler along as a jigsaw

but remember measure 3 times for you only cut once

socketman

Mar 4, 2002
try these sites, and read their forums as well as articles. In the forums read the stuff that has been "stuck" at the top.

overclockers

bit-tech

gideontech

THey have some great stuff there. For a blowhole your better off getting a regular drill with a blow-hole bit. Some overclocking/modding sites sell them. For smaller cuts, get a variable speed dremel. GOOD LUCK!