how to disable media player from accessing dvd drive

Boo Boo

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2005
whenever i play a video file, Media player tries to access my dvd player. how do i disable this? have changed all my auto run options yet it still does it.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Read this article:

http://www.animeviews.com/article.php?ID=259

It shows you how to make a shortcut to toggle your drive on and off. If the device is disabled in device manager, Windows Stupid Player™ shouldnt* access it.

* dont hold me to that this is frickin microsoft after all!

Bubbaleone

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2011
whenever i play a video file, Media player tries to access my dvd player. how do i disable this? have changed all my auto run options yet it still does it.

Windows 7 uses the Media Transfer Protocol which is part of the Windows Media framework and thus closely related to Windows Media Player. In Windows, MTP-compatible devices support a feature called AutoSync, which lets you configure Windows Media Player to automatically transfer all newly acquired or copied content to devices, whenever they are connected. For this reason you'll need to try out the settings in the following guide to see how they affect all your media devices, and whether these settings suit your personal tastes.

Windows includes a feature known as AutoPlay. When a device is connected to a Windows computer and the system recognizes the file types, it will attempt to automatically start the associated program. For example: If you insert a USB drive or a DVD that's full of digital audio or video files, Windows Media Player may automatically start. You can disable this behavior through the Group Policy Editor:

Click start; type gpedit.msc in the search box, then click gpedit.msc under Programs, which will open the Local Group Policy Editor:

gpedita.jpg

Under Computer Configuration expand Administrative Templates, then Windows Components:

gpedit1.jpg

Under Windows Components click AutoPlay Policies:

gpedit2.jpg

Double-click Turn off AutoPlay in the right pane, which opens it's dialog box:

gpedit3.jpg

In the dialog box, select Enabled, then in the drop-down menu select CD-ROM and removable media drives. Click Apply, then OK to exit the dialog:

gpedit4.jpg

Now double-click Turn off AutoPlay for non-volume devices, which opens it's dialog box:

gpedit5.jpg

In the dialog box, select Enabled, click Apply, then click OK to exit the dialog:

gpedit6.jpg

Close the Local Group Policy Editor, then restart the computer.