How to deal with irritatingly good news.

busmaster11

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2000
Why does he equate anti-war with anti-american?

CAD, do you agree with this? If so, why?

BTW, I'm still on the fence about the legitimacy or the worthiness of the war, prolly 60/40 against...

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
:D

CkG

Yep got rid of that Direct and Iminenent threat to the U.S. and England
rolleye.gif

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

CkG

rolleye.gif

What to say if:
If the arrest, trial and possible execution of Saddam results in a free and democratic Iraq.
This is irrelevant to the War on Terror. Iraq had no links with al-Qa'eda. Bush and Blair will never defeat terrorism until they catch Osama bin Laden.

Close enough dave. Maybe the BBC will give you a call.:)

CkG

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

CkG

rolleye.gif

Who supported the WTC bombing?

Was Libya volunterring to cooperate before Irq fell?

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
I am stunned with admiration at the mental agility of the anti-war lobby. Having spent months taunting George W Bush and Tony Blair for their failure to capture Saddam Hussein, and thus accomplish one of the most fundamental aims of the "illegal war" in Iraq, it was able to recover its composure almost instantaneously when the worst happened.

This paragraph reminds me of how Bush frequently said "Iraq", "terrorists", "9/11" in the same breath, using leading language to manipulate opinions and revise history. Those against this war never said that Saddam Hussein's capture was what made the war illegal, and the Administration never said that one of the most fundamental aims of the war was to capture him.

arsbanned

Banned
Dec 12, 2003
Yeah there are some interesting things happening now. Iran is cooperating, Libya is cooperating, North Korea is as isolated as ever. This thing could still go either way though! ;)

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Oh man come on. This is plagerism. Just the other day in some post or another I carefully explained how everything is perfect just like it is and yet the partisan ship continues. You people have know idea at all how terrified of truth you are and here you are laughing cause you think the Dems is behind the curve. You ain't even got to the corner yet.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Good news, chariots commen, good news, chariots commen, good news, chariots commen and I don't want um ta leave me behind. Oh, good news.................

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
So, being as resourceful as it clearly is, the anti-war (which is to say, the anti-American) party may not need any help at all.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Sorry gents. Even for an Op-Ed piece, this thing is a crock. Let's start with his opening paragraph:
I am stunned with admiration at the mental agility of the anti-war lobby. Having spent months taunting George W Bush and Tony Blair for their failure to capture Saddam Hussein,
So far, so good ...

and thus accomplish one of the most fundamental aims of the "illegal war" in Iraq,
Says who? The fundamental aims were regime change, finding mass stockpiles of WMDs, finding any WMDs, finding any WMD programs, finding anything looking vaguely scientific, finding sharp sticks, and/or "liberating" Iraqis . . . depending on the day of the week and the latest embarassing false alarm.

Failing to capture Hussein was merely a wonderful thorn in the side of the Bush regime since it demonstrated their ineptitude. Seven months was a more than adequate demonstration.

it was able to recover its composure almost instantaneously when the worst happened.
Worst? More slander by the bitter right. Capturing Hussein has little effect on U.S. homeland security. The effect on our troops in Iraq is still unclear, but I think most people -- left and right -- are hopeful it will demoralize the Iraqi resistance and encourage more Iraqis to come forward, accept our occupation, and help us transition back to local rule.

He follows this with several paragraphs of equally vacuous slurs and unsupported accusations. Finally, he gets to his list of prepared responses. I really enjoy the way he goes out on a limb with these:
If Saddam's trial, by whatever agency, produces previously unknown evidence of crimes against his own people that is so horrific that it shames those who resisted his forcible removal.
No one (certainly not you) ever said they thought Saddam was a hero, or that they wanted him restored to power. They just wanted international law to be permitted to take its own good time to decide how and when he should be stopped.

If the arrest, trial and possible execution of Saddam results in a free and democratic Iraq.
This is irrelevant to the War on Terror. Iraq had no links with al-Qa'eda. Bush and Blair will never defeat terrorism until they catch Osama bin Laden.
Well duh. Both of those statements are true. The only people making claims about Saddam being a hero were the Bush apologists trying to tar the left. I can't speak for everyone opposed to the invasion, but I said from the beginning we needed to let the inspections and containment processes continue. As far as al Qaida is concerned, Bush himself finally acknowledged there were no substantitive ties between Iraq and al Qaida. Forgive us for agreeing with your king (though technically speaking, since we were already there, he agreed with us).

I do take issue with his last comment about bin Laden. Although it appears bin Laden still has a substantial role in al Qaida, capturing him will not cause terrorism to stop. It should reduce terrorism, but some terrorism will continue whether we capture bin Laden or not. Bush's failure to capture bin Laden so far is simply another example of his inept leadership and an affirmation that we should have kept our focus on Afghanistan.

But that's just my opinion.

Jul 1, 2000
Originally posted by: arsbanned
Yeah there are some interesting things happening now. Iran is cooperating, Libya is cooperating, North Korea is as isolated as ever. This thing could still go either way though! ;)

It is amazing how the geo-political landscape has changed since we dragged that filthy, pathetic bag of human feces from his hole. :) Quadafi has been apparently cured, and others have experienced remarkable therapeutic effects.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
All the good stuff that's happening now goes back to actions Clinton took.

Aw yeah! I mean, if Clinton hadn't prepped our country for war and riled up the anti-Iraq sentiment, Bush never could have gotten this of the ground. Bush Sr. obviously didn't have the gumption to try anything like this; it's a good thing we got a gutsy, American-minded fellow like Clinton in office, yesireebob. I mean, if we'd had some Republican in office, do you think we'd've stood a chance at capturing Hussein? HECK NO! All this Iraqi liberation and the cooperation we're getting from Libya and that stuff, that's directly due to Clinton's implementation of Clintonian policies, it's so obvious! Dubya, the dirty bastage, is just standing there basking in the glory that is rightly due Clinton for his sheer political genius on the foreign policy front. Heck, we probably wouldn't have even had 9-11 if Bush hadn't screwed up Clinton's shining plans so much.

;) at Moonie. LB says hi.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Hehe, HC, you're right on the money and Hi to you too. Just like all the bad stuff that happened in Clinton's time was all from the former Bush. :D

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: ReiAyanami
they found a bunch of "al quaeda gone wild" videos in weapons stash during a raid. but i'm sure they planted them. no wait, al quaeda planted them to make us look bad

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/12/30/sprj.irq.alqaeda.weapons/index.html

Iraq did have a sizable army. I don't think it unreasonable to find all sorts of stuff. It would vindicate the effort if they found some of the WMD that were alleged to start the search.
I wonder how many cemetaries have been labled mass graves. Folks die, and are buried. I guess Saddam's POV was that they would have died anyhow and it was their time to go.

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
Let's see now, hundreds of billion dollar spent on Iraq war, thousands of Iraqis and hundreds of American troop killed, and a country you need to rebuild where anti-American sentiment is strong and a hotbed for terrorist. Capturing Saddam Hussein who neither have the WMD Bush/Blair claimed he had nor the military presence to threaten America suddenly going to make it all OK.

Hey, if you wanna call it good news when your country is out hundreds of billion of dollar, thousands of people killed by your action, and a costly and dangerous nation rebuilding program for no national interest, well, I guess that's your right.

gaga38

Apr 15, 2003
Originally posted by: arsbanned

lol
if you think Libya is cooperating because of the invasion of iraq you are a little wrong
Libya made a very good deal, getting lot of money and aid program from abandonning their so-called nuclear program
aiea inspectors told that the libyan program was decades away from producing a nuclear weapon
it was just an opportunity for Kadhafi to come back on the international scene
And i dont think iran is fearing the us. The iranian army is quite strong.
and yes NK the most dangerous country for the us is still there doing nothing
great accomplishment
it is great that hussein was captured but it was a minor objectif of the war
the main one (remeber all the speech of bush) is the wmd
and tell me where they are?

arsbanned

Banned
Dec 12, 2003
and tell me where they are?

I could, but then I'd have to kill you. ;) ;) ;)

I'm not so naive to think the Worlds problems have all been cured, I'm just stating facts.

Note: There's this key called the "SHIFT" key on your keyboard? See the one? Please use it.
kthxby

maluckey

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2003
Sheesh, to read this thread, you'd never guess that the link was a bit of humor, not a statement. It was meant to show how it is possible to spin ANYTHING if you really wanted to (or needed to). I guess we now know who the overly sensitive ones on the forum are.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: maluckey
Sheesh, to read this thread, you'd never guess that the link was a bit of humor, not a statement. It was meant to show how it is possible to spin ANYTHING if you really wanted to (or needed to). I guess we now know who the overly sensitive ones on the forum are.

CkG