how to deal with failure

quirky

Jun 25, 2002
ok im not depressed or anything but i've been wondering how people deal with the stress that comes from not reaching the goals you've set for yourself. its affecting me personally but the real concern is a friend of mine is really down right now and is really in need of consolation and support. what to say to them (and myself)?

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I don't set goals, because I always fail at things. I just exist in a miserable state.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
Most people's lives are filled with failures. They are supposed to make you stronger and wiser. Those who do not become stronger and wiser become victims of the Darwin effect. That's how life works.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
desireless, one can see the mystery.
desiring, one can only see the manifestations.
These two spring from the same source but differ in name;
this appears as darkness.
Darkness within darkness.
The gate to all mystery.

;)

lowtech1

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2000

There is no such thing as failure if you have tried your best & exhaust all resources trying to achieve it. However you shouldn?t give up, but should review your experience & then tries again using what you have learned.

The achievement is not the goal that you seek, but it is the valuable experience & path that you take to get there.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Never feel bad when you encounter a minor setback in your goals. Because if you dust yourself off and try again, applying what you learned from your earlier attempt(s), until you finally succeed, then you have never actually failed. It just took a while longer to acheive your goals.
Failure only occurs when you stop trying.

I have met some amazingly successful people in life and I can tell you that the only difference between them and us is that they never quit and never let the little setbacks get them down. They apply what they learn from their mistakes and push on.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
If at first you don't suceed, try try again.

Then quit. Don't be a damn fool about it.

Heard that somewhere :)

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
A wise man once said "trying is the first step towards failure "

Another wise man also once said, "You've tried and failed. The lesson here is, never try again". This wise man is no other than Homer Simpsons :D

Oops, I see someone already have it in his signature line.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
i deal with failure but looking at what i should have done, then trying again with lessons learned in mind.

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
It is not the critic who counts, not the one who points out how the strong man stumbled or how the doer of deeds might have done better.

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred with sweat and dust and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement;

and who, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat."

-Teddy Rooseveldt

(I'm actually working on this for my webpage right now)

Hope this helps! :D

Alphazero

Golden Member
May 9, 2002
How to deal with failure is one of the most important we must learn (especially after this).

When I fail to reach my goals, I sit down and think about what would be the best course of action. You have to work hard and give it your best, and you will find that you can overcome your failures and move on to better achievements.

It's also important to set realistic goals, but not too low that you don't have to work to reach them.