how to create usb boot drive with suse linux 10?

nervegrind3r

Lifer
Jul 12, 2004
hey all, having some trouble, and I feel like im missing something. For a specific piece of software, I need suse linux enterprise 10 sp4. I have the iso, if I burn to a cd, it boots off the cd, I install, all good. All I want to do is put the iso on a 4gb usb stick, and have it boot/install from there. I cannot seam to accomplish this task. I am using a windows pc to do this, and I dont have alot of experience with linux

I have tried the following ways:

live usb
http://en.opensuse.org/Live_USB_stick

suse studio image writer - usb drive remains unformatted after process is complete
http://www.syncwithtech.org/2013/07/opensuse-bootable-usb.html

https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=3499891 - I get stuck when syslinux is not in the correct path, so I cant proceed past step 6

passmark imageusb - writes the files okay, but wont boot off the usb drive

Can someone please help me with a foolproof way to get this version of suse to boot from usb?

thanks so much

KillerBee

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2010
You can click on Diskimage then browse to your own ISO
( instead of using something from their list)

dbimage.php

It usually it works good for other Distros but I've never used Ent SUSE vs openSUSE so it may not work.

Last edited:

KillerBee

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2010
whoops ...
in one of your links -It does say it should be FAT16 when formatting.

So before running unetbootin format the USB stick with FAT
and uncheck quickformat

edit: though I thought the biggest FAT partitions can be is 2G
never mind - 2G is the limit with 32k and 4G is the limit with 64k clusters (default)
so it should work with FAT

but I would also try FAT32 again if using FAT doesn't work

Last edited:

KillerBee

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2010
Well I downloaded SLES-10-SP4-DVD-x86_64-GM-DVD1.iso
formatted the usb as FAT @3.75G
ran unetbootin and pointed it at above ISO

Then on bootup with USB it presents a unetbootin menu with some entries:

Linux
memtest

I had to down arrow once to select "Linux" the second option for it to proceed - the top "Default" selection didn't work
if after proceeding you see prompts for source image location - choose HARD DISK and hopefully will see your USB listed

Last edited:

nervegrind3r

Lifer
Jul 12, 2004
thanks again for your help killer bee

may I have this thought out wrong. I am using unetbootin on my pc to create the usb boot drive, but it asks me to reboot that system as if it installed something on it. I am just creating the usb drive there, and am trying to boot from it on another system. So I did the process again today, I formatted fat32 first because I dont have the option to format in FAT, used unetbootin to to create from image, it was sucessful, put the usb drive on my other system I want to boot from, and it gives me a boot error.

any other ideas?

KillerBee

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2010
It should work to boot another machine too - booted my old laptop with same usb.
Have you tried using another usb stick?

ArisVer

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2011
thanks again for your help killer bee

may I have this thought out wrong. I am using unetbootin on my pc to create the usb boot drive, but it asks me to reboot that system as if it installed something on it. I am just creating the usb drive there, and am trying to boot from it on another system. So I did the process again today, I formatted fat32 first because I dont have the option to format in FAT, used unetbootin to to create from image, it was sucessful, put the usb drive on my other system I want to boot from, and it gives me a boot error.

any other ideas?

When it asks you to reboot, just don't do it. It was not written correctly I guess. Another try?
Or you can try http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

nervegrind3r

Lifer
Jul 12, 2004
so it wont boot from usb on the system I want, but it does boot on my laptop. I saw the same options like default/linux/noacpi/ etc. If I use default, it says there is a boot error. If I select linux, it gathers all the hardware information, then I get to a screen that says linuxrc that says put in cd number 1, cant get past that, going back to main menu for other options does nothing. :(

KillerBee

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2010
On mine when hitting "back" after that message will bring up the language select menu and then it goes into the installation menu.

You can also press ALT-SHIFT F3 and ALT-SHIFT F4
These will show error consoles and may give you more info on what is happening.

press ALT- SHIFT F1 to get back to install console

edit: it may be CTRL-ALT F3 and CTRL-ALT F4
try SHIFT-PageUp and SHIFT-PageDown inside the consoles to scroll

Last edited:

nervegrind3r

Lifer
Jul 12, 2004
I need the portability of installing this from usb drive, sometimes I have to go to a client site and throw this on a server. usb dvdrom drive is not acceptable.