Question how to cool a laptop CPU?

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
i have an old macbook pro 2010, 13 inches as seen here. no display, no battery, just the bare essiential with the mb, ssd drive, ram. it works great and stable with HomeAssistant OS (HASS OS). i 3d printed the case and mounted that on a wall.
the fan is quite on boot up. but once HASS is up, the fan is super loud and there is no way i can control it via HASS.
so i am thinking of cooling the Intel Celeron dual core passively. where can i find such hardware?

Last edited:

SteinFG

Dec 29, 2021
I don't know anything about it, so this is the most obvious answer: Just don't use the fan and 3d print a frame to hold a passive heatsink. Or use thermal epoxy heh

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Um

Is the motherboard mounted vertically on a wall?

You might have problems rigging up a passive HSF for that chip given a vertical wall-mount. There are passive heatsinks out there, but I doubt there are any that match the retention mechanism used for the default hsf.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
It's conceivable that it could be passively cooled. The TDP for the CPU should be below what some fanless GPUs have. I don't know that there's any existing solutions for doing it, but it sounds as though you'd be capable of rigging something up.

As the previous poster said the way you've described how the computer is mounted or situated seems somewhat confusing or leaves a lot to the imagination. It might take a little bit of work on your part to get a working solution, but it should be possible.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
i can mount it laying flat or any way as needed. the CPU is about .5 by .5 inches. which passive cooler is small but still good enough to cool it?

For that retention mechanism, you won't find many coolers at all. You're using a mobile platform. An Apple mobile platform. Odds are good the only HSF you can get for it is the one that shipped with the original laptop. You are going to have to rig your own solution, possibly involving a horizontal orientation + thermal epoxy. As long as nothing touches the HSF to crack the epoxy bond you should be fine. After that point, nearly any tower HSF with no fans on it would do.

Unless you feel like engineering your own retention mechanism, but that's outside of my wheelhouse.