How to connect Intellivision Flashback to TV that only has HDMI available?

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
Hola everyone,
I saw this at the drug store (lol) the other day and HAD to pick it up. Got home and it comes with an a/v cable (white and yellow RCA jacks), but my TV only has HDMI inputs available. Would something as simple as this work?

I guess I would just use the white and yellow jacks, and not bother with the red one *shrugs*

TIA
Blah-Toe

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
A friend of mine uses this for one of those retro consoles but the quality of the video seems pretty low to me and I don't know if it's the converter or what.

AGPtek-Mini-HDMI-to-AV-converter.jpg

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
Yeah, I have one of those, but I didn't have an HDMI cable. So, I went out and got one, hooked everything up, and got no display at all lol!

I could definitely hear something when I turned the console on however.....just couldn't see anything......meh.

I'll figure something out eventually tho

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
If I remember right he often has to unplug the hdmi from the converter and then plug it back in while everything is powered on. Try that

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
Just a side note... keep an eye out for old tube TV's being given away. Sometimes a classic only truly looks *right* on a good ol' CRT. ;)

Reactions: poofyhairguy

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
That looks like a PlayStation 1/2/3 (maybe Saturn or Dreamcast) multi-out connector for composite AV. That would not work.

Most ultra-thin TVs still support composite and component through a squid cable that plugs into a 3.5mm jack. What is the TV model?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
My mom got me something like that but for Atari 2600 last Xmas. It only had the composite A/V out on it as well. It is probably the same brand.

When I plugged it into my receiver, even with the A/V cables that came with it, I had the same experience as you where I couldn't see video but I had sound. I then tried to hook it to my TV upstairs, but quickly realized I only had an HDMI port I could plug it into (unless the back had A/V ports but it's wall mounted). Then I went upstairs and found a TV with A/V on it, and it worked on there. However it's in the bedroom so I wasn't going to keep it there.

But it sucked because I really wanted to see how the Atari 2600 looked on my 120" screen lol. I haven't hooked it up since then.

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
OK....finally got some pics....Hopefully I can embed/link them correctly lol
1. The unit itself in all it's 2 pronged glory lol. Looks like 1 video and 1 mono audio RCA connectors
2. Cable Box - just because....dont know if I can hook it up thru there.......it may be only 'ouput' *shrugs* I just replaced the old one, and am now using HDMI to go from the cable box to the TV
3. A couple of empty RCA connectors on the Home Theater System
4. Back of the TV. Now that I think about it....I might not need a few of those cables, since I'm now going HDMI directly from the cable box to the TV
5. Finally, the converter I have. I took a closer look and noticed the 'input' and 'output' designations. What I am (or was) trying to do is connect the intellivsion INto the RCA connectors, then an HDMI cable OUT to the TV. But the designations are 'reversed' to what I need them to be. From what I can tell, I'm doing the opposite (IN thru RCA and out to HDMI, vs. IN to HDMI and OUT to RCA per the labels).
If I can be any more vague please dont hesitate to ask lol

1_Intellivision_zpskwlmzjj9.jpg

2_Cable%20Box_zpsxyiltn58.jpg

3_HTS_zpsyd8oouv1.jpg

4_LG_TV_zpsjtnadqut.jpg

5_Converter_zpswa3c77fl.jpg

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
The component video input on your TV has 3 connections for the picture (Y/Pb/Pr). One of them (probably "Y" --green) should actually accept a composite video signal (the yellow connector from the Intellivision). Try it...

Try connecting the yellow end to the "VIDEO/Y" connector. Then connect the white end to "L/MONO" on the back of your TV.

If I could see the model number of that TV, I'd look up the relevant section of the manual.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue_Max

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Looks like "MCR65227621" is the model, even though it's not labeled to say what that number is.

[edit] Maybe not. LG's web site doesn't come up with a manual for that.

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
OK.....got the model info:

6_model_zps1xuccsll.jpg

I still think I can disconnect a couple/3 cables from the TV. I haven't had a chance. Wife stayed home sick today and has been glued to the TV lol

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
jeebus. thank you! I'll give it a shot!

Can't wait to get my 'B17 boooooommmbmmmbmbmmbmber on' lol