How to connect 20 fans?

LateralusArt

Sep 29, 2014
I want to plugin 20 fans. On my motherboard (Asus Z10PE-D8 WS) there are 2 cpu fan 4 pin connectors and 7 other 4 pin connectors. So 9 fans are ok, but 11 more. The case is Corsair 900D and psu: Corsair AX1200i. There are 20 fans because 8 will be on radiators.

Fans:
Corsair Air Series SP120 PWM High Performance Edition High Static Pressure Fan (Voltage 7V-12V; Power Draw 0.18A)
Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition High Airflow 120mm Fan (Voltage 7V-12V; Power Draw 0.08A)
Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition High Airflow 140mm (Voltage 7V-12V; Power Draw 0.1A)

What fan controller and splitters should i buy? The worst thing is that i don't want any controller which is visible form outside in 3,5 or 5,25 bay, it should sit inside hidden like new Corsair Link Commander Mini which will never be available to buy in my country.

What experience do You have?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Based on the OP's preferences, YBS1's recommendation would've been mine.

Not only can you connect 8 fans or pumps with a single Swiftech splitter, you can control them all from a single PWM motherboard port, even though you can only monitor one of them. If you want more "monitoring," you can run the tach wire of any particular fan to a vacant motherboard fan port of either type. (Of course, the mobo won't offer you 20 fan ports for that . . .) Or -- you can buy the front-panel controller, likely have less direct, little or no thermal control, and monitoring for every connected fan.

The Swiftech device assures that the fans are powered directly from the PSU, while being thermally controlled from the motherboard.

THAT BEING SAID : The Aquero device DOES provide software-managed thermal control for devices connected to it. I was never able to determine if the USB connection and software also allowed use of CPU temperature as measured by the CPU sensors, but I think it should.

And -- I had considered acquiring an Aquero myself.

But it boils down to this. Do you really NEED additional temperature sensors? Do you need to add more factors and complexity with the USB interface, onboard processor and Windows software? Do you really NEED to MONITOR every single fan running, if you can assure yourself that the unmonitored fans are following the thermally-controlled duty-cycle configured in BIOS and the motherboard software (such as ASUS Fan-Xpert)?

Truth is, the software bundled with a front-panel controller simply replaces software like Fan-Xpert, but at least the latter was specifically designed for a particular manufacture and product line of motherboards.

Then, consider the cost factor. The splitters cost $10. The only drawback with the Swiftech device: you can only control 8 PWM fans, and 3-pin fans would only run at full bore if connected to it. The Aquero apparently allows either type of fan connected to a fan port, and like some motherboards I know, would likely control them either by voltage or by PWM duty-cycle.

LateralusArt

Sep 29, 2014
Thanks for help. I choose to buy 2x NZXT Grid 10 fan hub and maybe buy less fans. I will connect 4 or 5 to mobo and the rest to nzxt fan hub. NZXT Grid has total power of 30W it is 3 per 1 fan. My fans are from 0,96W to 2,16W so it is ok. But this is just hub opposite to NZXT Grid+ (unavailable in Poland) which has software fan controller. So here is my question how can i control speed of all fans or all at once when they are connected to NZXT Grid?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Thanks for help. I choose to buy 2x NZXT Grid 10 fan hub and maybe buy less fans. I will connect 4 or 5 to mobo and the rest to nzxt fan hub. NZXT Grid has total power of 30W it is 3 per 1 fan. My fans are from 0,96W to 2,16W so it is ok. But this is just hub opposite to NZXT Grid+ (unavailable in Poland) which has software fan controller. So here is my question how can i control speed of all fans or all at once when they are connected to NZXT Grid?

Ha! I had to investigate the "+". Took awhile, but now I see: it has a USB motherboard connection with a proprietary plug for the NZXT which looks like "HDMI" or similar. But it's obvious from the colors and number of the sheathed wires, and the common 9-pin USB plug on the opposite end.

For the "Grid Ten Port Fan Hub" -- which you're buying -- a user at the EGG says that he can control the connected fans through his ASUS Fan-Expert II software. But this would only be possible if he'd connected the three-pin power connector for the hub to his motherboard. Since it's a customer review, I can't entirely trust the accuracy of his "indication" -- that he can thermally control the several fans from a single motherboard fan port. Maybe he was using the Grid+ in combination with the Grid Hub. Can't say. Need to investigate further.

This also suggests additional concerns -- provided someone wanted to try it that way: there's a 30W limit for the entirety of all fans connected. This could over-power a single motherboard 3-pin fan port -- traditionally limited to approximately 1A or 12W.

Did the user mean that he had a "Grid +" and was using his ASUS software instead of the proprietary SW bundled with the "+" unit? I can't say. But figure you could use just the "Grid +" for so many fans and it would cost you ~$40 as opposed to the Aquero device.

But no argument here: if you can't power your three-pin fans from the motherboard for having too many, you either want PWM fans for use with a Swiftech device, or you'd likely need the Grid + to do it for 3-pin fans.

You'll have to investigate further.