How to change the thickness of Windows taskbar

1landshark

Jul 8, 2005
On 2 laptops my wife uses the thickness/depth of the Taskbar is double the normal thickness. I like a single thickness for the Taskbar and I just can't figure out how to restore it. Can anyone please assist me?
TIA

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
right click on the taskbar, and uncheck "Lock Taskbar" then drag it back down to where you like it.

1landshark

Jul 8, 2005
Thanks TheStu, But that doesn't work. It only allows me to hide the Taskbar, not make it a single line

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
The task bar is a sizeable Window.

Put the cursor/mouse on the leading edge carefully until you get a cursor change to a double headed arrow.

Now you can click and resize. The sizing is a multiple of a single task bar.

1landshark

Jul 8, 2005
I have tried this over 100 times. My homebuilt computer works fine. But I have 2 notebooks and I get the double headed arrow and my only options are a hidden taskbar or a double thick taskbar. I try to stop it about halfway done and nothing happens. It just reverts to a double thickness. If I bring it to the bottom, it just disappears.
Any other suggestions please?
Again TIA for the suggestions

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Which OS - I can manipulate the size on 98, 2K & XP Pro with no problem.

Boobs McGee

Feb 6, 2006
It sounds like your quick launch bar may have been made too big. Make sure your taskbar isn't locked. Then drap the little vertical bar back to the left until it meets up with your actual quick launch icons. Most of the time that will bring the taskbar back to regular size on its own. If not you should be able to resize it.

1landshark

Jul 8, 2005
It's XP Pro and I do know how to do it and for some reason it just does not work on the 2 laptops. Works fine on desktop. One of those weird Windows things.
Thanks anyway