Question How to buy a 6700 XT?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lifeblood

Oct 17, 2001
So I want to buy one of the new 6700 XT's. Anyone have a good suggestion to improve my chances? Do I sit on newegg constantly refreshing on the day the go live and hit buy when they first appear? I don't care if its reference or custom (we'll, I actually do but I'll take what I can get).

If we can buy reference cards direct from AMD I suspect that may be the better route. Thoughts?

lifeblood

Oct 17, 2001
I didn't get selected for the lottery either. Oh well, I guess its a good thing. As I sat there watching some different reviews of the 6700XT I decided I didn't really want it, I wanted something like the 3060 or 3060 TI. Of course at this point I'll take what I get (within reason).

jcmeyer5

Feb 15, 2021
Well, I was selected in the Newegg Shuffle last night, but unfortunately I didnt get my notification from the Newegg app and missed my window.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I've been following the FixitFixitFixit YT channel and Discord. A couple of cards have been in stock - for 3 seconds! Damn bots. Even then, anything other than Nvidia or AMD branded cards are going for $200-300 over MSRP (which are already high). Nutz.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
The shuffle is back up now and they have more 6700 xts. The bad news is they start at $ 620 and the cheapest card is a $509 3060. No thanks lol.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I hate to say it, but I think a lot of the insane demand is coming from wide-eyed gamers who think they will literally die if they don't have the chance to max out their credit card to get a stupidly overpriced GPU.
What you guys are doing isn't cool and it isn't healthy. The dumbest thing any of you could ever do is try to buy an RTX 3080 Ti when it drops. If you try to get one, the stink of shame will never wash off. Don't do it.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
I hate to say it, but I think a lot of the insane demand is coming from wide-eyed gamers who think they will literally die if they don't have the chance to max out their credit card to get a stupidly overpriced GPU.
What you guys are doing isn't cool and it isn't healthy. The dumbest thing any of you could ever do is try to buy an RTX 3080 Ti when it drops. If you try to get one, the stink of shame will never wash off. Don't do it.

Is this working to reduce demand to make it easier for us who can actually afford toys to get them?

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Not at scalper prices no, but there are plenty of GPUs right now that I'd more than gladly pay MSRP for. The 3060 Ti is an incredible value at $400 in my opinion.

Reactions: Ajay

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Yer right, my 6900xt will last me a good while.

Holy crap you have a 6900XT? What do you do for a living? You must have a lot of money and be really smart. I bet you're handsome too. Jesus I can't believe you have a 6900XT. I wish I was the kind of person who had a graphics card like that. What can I do to improve my life? Maybe I'm just not smart enough.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
moonbogg, your purchase of the 1080TI WAS a great move. Steller card.

Are you the same G.K. who taught me how to build my first custom loop? That was an exciting time for me and want to thank you again for taking the time to walk me through it. It was a lot of fun, and I still find myself glad I did it even after all this time. A silent PC is just pure gold, even when running at it's max potential.
The 1080Ti was a good move and fortunately it continues to meet my needs and serves me well. Very rare for a card to last this long and continue to perform. The GPU situation is getting under my skin though. I want to upgrade but it's just not possible. All I can do about it is RANT, and ranting is something I enjoy almost as much as building a new rig =)

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
This is just ridiculous. local online-shops set sale start to April 30th. Some models already have a price set, all are >$850. For a 6700xt.

It's not high enough to stop them from evaporating instantly. Miners don't care. The high price only means they get their investment paid off in 200 days instead of 100, then all profit from there on out. They could charge $1600 for the 6700xt and sell 100,000 of them in 5 seconds.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Here, $1600 will barely get you a GTX1650 GDDR5. Might want to at least double up.

No, I'm not joking. This is the current reality.

Edit; 5 second? Do bots need a coffee break? (Yes, that was a joke)

Trying to fine tune my judgment of this situation is like trying to decide which is more difficult: climbing Mount Everest naked or swimming to Hawaii. Perhaps a vertical leap to Alpha Centauri is a more fitting comparison?

maddogmcgee

Apr 20, 2015
I am actually a bit surprised these have been in stock since launch. That is AUD prices with ten percent goods and services tax included. So not a terrible deal compared to the a used rx 580 for 500 AUD o_O

Attachments

• 123.PNG
    123.PNG
    261.5 KB · Views: 15

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I am actually a bit surprised these have been in stock since launch. That is AUD prices with ten percent goods and services tax included. So not a terrible deal compared to the a used rx 580 for 500 AUD o_O

All I see are idiots leaving money on the table. The 6700XT should be at least $2000. No idea what these fools are thinking paying people to steal their property. Whoever buys a 6700XT for $1000 just made their money back plus another $1000 on ebay or they will add it to the 500 other cards in their mining farm.
I can't wait to see how dumb Nvidia really is when they decide to force people to steal their 3080Ti for $1000. Those cards are going on ebay instantly and will evaporate in a nanosecond for $3000 easy. I think 99% of gamers don't want to game so bad that they won't immediately swap that 3080Ti for what they paid plus an extra 2 grand. At some point these GPU's aren't worth gaming on if they can make you money so easy. No one is gaming on these things at this point, not even gamers. They're like gold bricks.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: maddogmcgee

gk1951

Jul 7, 2019
Are you the same G.K. who taught me how to build my first custom loop? That was an exciting time for me and want to thank you again for taking the time to walk me through it. It was a lot of fun, and I still find myself glad I did it even after all this time. A silent PC is just pure gold, even when running at it's max potential.
The 1080Ti was a good move and fortunately it continues to meet my needs and serves me well. Very rare for a card to last this long and continue to perform. The GPU situation is getting under my skin though. I want to upgrade but it's just not possible. All I can do about it is RANT, and ranting is something I enjoy almost as much as building a new rig =)
You bet!

Having fun with the 5900x/RX6800 combo!
Still running the Intel5960/1080TI; 9900k/2080TI and the 3900x/RadVII combos

Reactions: Tlh97 and moonbogg

lightmanek

Feb 19, 2017
All I see are idiots leaving money on the table. The 6700XT should be at least $2000. No idea what these fools are thinking paying people to steal their property. Whoever buys a 6700XT for $1000 just made their money back plus another $1000 on ebay or they will add it to the 500 other cards in their mining farm.
I can't wait to see how dumb Nvidia really is when they decide to force people to steal their 3080Ti for $1000. Those cards are going on ebay instantly and will evaporate in a nanosecond for $3000 easy. I think 99% of gamers don't want to game so bad that they won't immediately swap that 3080Ti for what they paid plus an extra 2 grand. At some point these GPU's aren't worth gaming on if they can make you money so easy. No one is gaming on these things at this point, not even gamers. They're like gold bricks.

Don't you worry Moonbogg, in Poland cleaver computer shops are already chargin $2000 for 6700XT and it is in stock! If you want to buy one, you can even pick your preferred brand :D

To think that I've paid less for TWO 6800XT and one had EK waterblock added to it as well o_O

Reactions: Tlh97 and Gideon

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Don't you worry Moonbogg, in Poland cleaver computer shops are already chargin $2000 for 6700XT and it is in stock! If you want to buy one, you can even pick your preferred brand :D

To think that I've paid less for TWO 6800XT and one had EK waterblock added to it as well o_O

$2000? Sounds like they're happy charging the bare minimum market value then. Not the smartest move, but average folks will do what they do I guess. They can at least give a quality impression of their store by charging a little more than the bare minimum, something like $2500 should look better for their reputation. I mean, who wants to shop at a store with a reputation for barely getting away with minimum market value pricing? It could mean they skimp on how well they take care of their stuff and run their business. Charging only $2000? Yeah, doesn't show much confidence but it is what it is.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
$2000? Sounds like they're happy charging the bare minimum market value then. Not the smartest move, but average folks will do what they do I guess. They can at least give a quality impression of their store by charging a little more than the bare minimum, something like $2500 should look better for their reputation. I mean, who wants to shop at a store with a reputation for barely getting away with minimum market value pricing? It could mean they skimp on how well they take care of their stuff and run their business. Charging only $2000? Yeah, doesn't show much confidence but it is what it is.

- No kidding. NV and AMD should just change their card numbering schemes to match reality: RTX $3089.99 and the Radeon RX $6899.99XT :p