Question How to buy a 6700 XT?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lifeblood

Oct 17, 2001
So I want to buy one of the new 6700 XT's. Anyone have a good suggestion to improve my chances? Do I sit on newegg constantly refreshing on the day the go live and hit buy when they first appear? I don't care if its reference or custom (we'll, I actually do but I'll take what I can get).

If we can buy reference cards direct from AMD I suspect that may be the better route. Thoughts?

lifeblood

Oct 17, 2001
So tomorrow is the day but I'm mildly confused by the time. Many sites say 2:00 PM GMT, 9:00 AM Eastern. Right off that's wrong. We're currently in Eastern Daylight time so GMT is only 4 hours ahead, not 5. So is it 2:00 PM GMT or 9:00 AM EDT?

Either way, when should I start stalking the vendors web sites? I was thinking of having AMD, Newegg, and Best Buy up on my screen and trying to buy from them. Based on past history, should I be ready at at the advertised time or do they generally appear at 12AM on the day of?

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
So amd's store wasn't loading and I pressed reload a few time and now it says:

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.amd.com/en/direct-buy/us" on this server.

Reference #18.57233e17.1616004971********

I can't even get to amd.com. Did I just get locked out of the site for 24 hours right before the release? If so I'm a little PO'd and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
So amd's store wasn't loading and I pressed reload a few time and now it says:

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.amd.com/en/direct-buy/us" on this server.

Reference #18.57233e17.1616004971********

I can't even get to amd.com. Did I just get locked out of the site for 24 hours right before the release? If so I'm a little PO'd and I'm sure I'm not alone.

I just tried and it loaded right up, but it may have been a temporary issue that's been resolved since then. If it's persisting for you, I'd suggest that you try a different browser to see if that changes anything. If it doesn't, try using a VPN or even just changing our own IP address if that's easy for you to do. I guess I could spam F5 a bunch to see if a blocks me as well, but I do want to try to buy a card so forgive me for holding off on that little experiment.

Assuming it is something they are doing, it may be a system to prevent bots from working on their store for tomorrow's card launch.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I just tried and it loaded right up, but it may have been a temporary issue that's been resolved since then. If it's persisting for you, I'd suggest that you try a different browser to see if that changes anything. If it doesn't, try using a VPN or even just changing our own IP address if that's easy for you to do. I guess I could spam F5 a bunch to see if a blocks me as well, but I do want to try to buy a card so forgive me for holding off on that little experiment.

Assuming it is something they are doing, it may be a system to prevent bots from working on their store for tomorrow's card launch.
Thanks for confirming. I took a break to eat and it seems to be working fine now. It might have been a temporary glitch like you said or prep for tomorrow.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Thanks for confirming. I took a break to eat and it seems to be working fine now. It might have been a temporary glitch like you said or prep for tomorrow.

AMD started temp blocking people who refresh multiple times on their site. It's just a cookie block though so clearing cookies will clear the block. This is one of their anti-bot measures but it doesn't work consistently and many times will initiate from refreshing just a few times across a couple of minutes. I'm sure there's a complete way around it as well with some kind of cookie blocker which makes the whole thing just worse for the average user.

lifeblood

Oct 17, 2001
So AMD answered my question for me. From their email I just received:

"The Radeon RX 6700 XT graphics card is available on March 18 at 6am PST / 9am EST / 1pm GMT"

So I assume 9am is when I need to hit the vendors websites. Of course that's exactly when I'm supposed to be in mandatory training, but it's online so I'll have that window as small as possible in the bottom corner of my display so I can focus on what's actually important.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
AMD started temp blocking people who refresh multiple times on their site. It's just a cookie block though so clearing cookies will clear the block. This is one of their anti-bot measures but it doesn't work consistently and many times will initiate from refreshing just a few times across a couple of minutes. I'm sure there's a complete way around it as well with some kind of cookie blocker which makes the whole thing just worse for the average user.
Confirmed lol.

This page isn’t working right now

www.amd.com redirected you too many times.

To fix this issue, try clearing your cookies.

ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Man, the freaking jerks, there's not even a page for the 6700XT yet. Looking at the Gamers Nexus review, I'm a little bit disappointing in the performance/$ though. The 3600 Ti rocks with DLSS 2.0 on, but a month of checking Best Buy has been futile. This is getting really aggravating.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Signed up for the Newegg lottery. We'll see how that goes...
Same here. Best Buy card have came and went before I could get one in my cart. Not sure what's going on with AMD's site. The cards were up but that add to cart button wasn't working and now the card isn't showing in the store and it says 503 Service Temporarily Unavailable

Which one of the $500 and less cards is worth getting on newegg?

gk1951

Jul 7, 2019
Newegg is doing a shuffle that will end in a little over 4 hours. They have a number of 6700xt gpus for sale in the shuffle.

lifeblood that Newegg shuffle appears to be your best bet right now.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Not sure what's going on with AMD's site. The cards were up but that add to cart button wasn't working and now the card isn't showing in the store and it says 503 Service Temporarily Unavailable

Man, even getting a few of those GPUs together in one place will cause the unavailability to spread to anything they come into contact with.

• Haha
Reactions: lightmanek

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Newegg is doing a shuffle that will end in a little over 4 hours. They have a number of 6700xt gpus for sale in the shuffle.

lifeblood that Newegg shuffle appears to be your best bet right now.
I can't count the number of newegg shuffles I've entered, never won one. I had better luck with BestBuy drops than NE shuffles.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
I’m more pissed off over this graphics card shortage than I aught to be.

Same here. After all I got my 5600XT, so I really shouldn't be complaining at all. But I feel for the folks caught out in this.

It's got so bad (r)etailers here do even accept orders for any graphics cards what-so-ever. Can't even pre-order one to have delivered when in stock. You literally can't order any graphics card, disabled buy buttons allround. Apart from a few GT710's here and there, there are none to be had. Except from scalpers. I saw a GTX1650 GDDR5 listed at what amounts to ~1650USD. They used to be in the 190-250USD price range depending on model. World has gone crazy.

In 25+ years I've never seen anything like it, not even the last mining bubble was this bad.