Question How to boot from a CF Card

backslash69

Jun 17, 2021
Hello,

We have a small industrial computer that is part of the system that control our building's doors. After a loss of power, the BIOS has been cleared. The system is very old, the main board's battery is empty, the spare battery didn't last enough ... So now I "just" have to set the BIOS again ...

The mainboard is a Axiomtech SBC84620 with a CF type II port.

The system is on a 512 Mo CF card.

I can see the CF card in the BIOS as the IDE primary master. I set the first boot as HDD1 and the boot fails with the "no 80 conductors" error.

I guess I have to deal with some other parameters but it's out of my skills

Reactions: JamesGarciaz

zapbuzz

Jun 18, 2021
Hello,

We have a small industrial computer that is part of the system that control our building's doors. After a loss of power, the BIOS has been cleared. The system is very old, the main board's battery is empty, the spare battery didn't last enough ... So now I "just" have to set the BIOS again ...

The mainboard is a Axiomtech SBC84620 with a CF type II port.

The system is on a 512 Mo CF card.

I can see the CF card in the BIOS as the IDE primary master. I set the first boot as HDD1 and the boot fails with the "no 80 conductors" error.

I guess I have to deal with some other parameters but it's out of my skills
Unfortunately that 80 conductor error you speak of means the cf adapter isn't compatIble with your systems high speed IDE channel and gaining a unit with 80 conductor support is like finding a needle in a haystack. Perhaps in the bios try changing the IDE mode to like CHS ? UDMA i think is 80 conductor..... UDMA is 80 conductor like UDMA33 , 66, 100, 133 CHS is the slower 40 conductor modes (U means Ultra in the DMA acronym) YOUR UNIT DOES HAVE AN ata100 ide port perhaps an option would be an SATA to PATA adapter to use a SATA disk of up to 1tb on the PATA interface (to use a brand new hard disk) it would be more reliable than CF card last much longer with a linux such as puppy linux it wouldn't ask much for system disk data throughput ideal for work with an open office software bundle. DOSBOX would allow som early dos games to play on it.

Last edited: