How to boost wireless signal strength?

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
My computer is in my room, and the signal that I am getting there from the wireless router is very low.

What is the cheapest way to increase the signal? Get an antenna extender thingie?

I have an extra belkin wireless router, can I use that as a receiver? How do i set it up?

TIA

Cobolman

Apr 18, 2006
If both the WAP and the receiver are stationary, I'd suggest a directional antennae, like the Pringle Can jobs.

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: Cobolman
If both the WAP and the receiver are stationary, I'd suggest a directional antennae, like the Pringle Can jobs.

yes they are both stationary. hmm can I buy the pringle can solution somehwere? I am too lazy to make it on my own.

furballi

Banned
Apr 6, 2005
Are you mooching the signal from the neighbor? If the signal is weak, then a directional antenna may help. You can also purchase a repeater, and position it between the router and your receiver. Note that the throughput speed will be lower with the repeater.

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: furballi
Are you mooching the signal from the neighbor? If the signal is weak, then a directional antenna may help. You can also purchase a repeater, and position it between the router and your receiver. Note that the throughput speed will be lower with the repeater.

No I am not mooching :). The landlord provides free wireless internet, but the signal in my room is low

How about this antenna?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833147115