How to add old version OpenCL libraries to windows driver ?

PontiacGTX

Oct 16, 2013
I have been tyring to replace dlls for OpenCL drivers on system32 driver repository folder but windows 10 doesnt allow to modify those files, how could I move them to the system driver folder?

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Why do you want to do that?
Usually, if you have secure boot on, then ONLY WHQL drivers can be used.
If you have a specific program that for some reason needs a older openCL, then drop the dll into that program's directory, and it should use that copy instead of the systems.

PontiacGTX

Oct 16, 2013
I wanted to compare if really the DLL in the program´s folder make any difference, and Windows 10 doesnt allow as easily to replace/add the dll to the system folder

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Well, that is how you do it if you got secure boot on. You can now throw in any version in the program's folder, and it will use that. Be aware that sometimes, just one dll might not be enough, since the openCL dll might need other dlls to work. Never bothered to try with openCL.

Last edited:

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
An application will search the folder where you launched the executable first before the system directories. If you put the files there it may load before the system files.

jkauff

Oct 4, 2012
I have been tyring to replace dlls for OpenCL drivers on system32 driver repository folder but windows 10 doesnt allow to modify those files, how could I move them to the system driver folder?
If you have an Nvidia GPU and have been experiencing 32-bit OpenCL problems in the Anniversary Update, the new GeForce drivers have fixed the problem.

PontiacGTX

Oct 16, 2013
I am using AMD GPUs maybe if it copy the older dll into the new package folder it will install the old dlls?

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I am using AMD GPUs maybe if it copy the older dll into the new package folder it will install the old dlls?
Nope, that won't work, the whole reason they are signed is so people can't do that.

What is wrong with sticking the dll in the program's directory? Again, that *will* override the system's dll.

Reactions: PontiacGTX

PontiacGTX

Oct 16, 2013
thanks for the suggestion I will do that but In windows 10 to replace system dll require a bit more difficulty than other OSes it seems

jkauff

Oct 4, 2012
thanks for the suggestion I will do that but In windows 10 to replace system dll require a bit more difficulty than other OSes it seems
It's difficult by design. Microsoft learned some lessons in OS security after all those years playing Whack-a-Mole patching XP against the black hat bad guys.