How to achieve cd-quality mp3's! Info inside -- Audiophiles check this out

divinemartyr

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2000
I figured this would be the place to post this since it pertains to software. I've been reading up on mp3 encoding, and the different engines and what they can produce, and finally came up with a site whose information was extremely helpful and proved to be what I was looking for.

There is a somewhat new technology in terms of mp3's called VBR or Variable BitRate. The encoded looks at the music frame by frame ANYWAY as it encodes it, this process will take slightly longer (2-4 minutes depending on the length of your song, to encode) but the benefits are simply amazing.

You will end up with an mp3 which AVERAGES 150-180 kbps. This is because certain parts of the song do not need to be encoded any higher than 128kbps. It might only be for a few frames but the encoder can accurately determine these, save you disk space, and create for you a file which is of superior audio quality, sometimes going up to even 320kbps if the music calls for it dynamically.

If you've ever seen a file on napster with an odd bitrate such as 155, 163, 177, well you get the idea, more than likely this is a VBR file, you should download it and notice the difference in quality. Certain encoders like Xing mangle the sound, I didn't believe it until I listened to a Xing mp3 side-by-side with a LAME encoded mp3.

Go to this website for the information on downloading the software, and further analysis and graphics which support this new technology. I am in no way affiliated with this site, I just found their information extremely accurate and informative. After you get the necessary software, encode a song using Xing at 192kbps then with LAME using VBR technology and I guarantee your file which will be smaller than the 192 made with Xing will sound MUCH better. Try it out, and let me know what you think. ;)

divinemartyr

sun818

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2000
Thanks for the info. I may look into ripping more of my home CDs with this program. I'm glad my MP3 player support VBR, but only up to 192kbps. At least VBR _is_ supported.

Strafe

Oct 11, 1999
Been using EAC along with LAME for a while now. Great rips! BTW, LAME is a great app to test for overclocking stability.

TP

Nov 6, 2000
thanks for the links...good stuff...time to go do some experimenting..

goophie

May 18, 2000
AznBruin03: yeah, lame is good stuff.... i tried it out recently when my friend told me about it. I have been converted ever since.

I was using radium codec before. Speeds are a bit faster, and just cuz VBR supports all the way up to 320kbps, it seems to be better quality than say 192 with the radium codec.

I've encoded couple cd's with VBR from 128-320 as the website says, and i can't distinguish the difference between cd and mp3. Of course my speakers/headphones are the best things in the world.

Namuna

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2000
Be careful with using VBR, some Portable units (like the portable CD/MP3 players) don't support it...Yet.

CBR (Constant Bit Rate) is the standard and EVERYTHING supports it.

I'm not trying to discourage VBR, just make sure your equip will support it.

Good luck and thx for the info.

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
FYI, in Music Match Jukebox, you are able to supply compression % to VBR. I found that an 80% VBR is just about the filesize of a 160 kbps file, and has better quality.

sun818

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2000
Hey Strafe -- I am curious to know what your lower encoding rate is. Looks like LAME will go up to 320 max, but I am not sure what the optimal rate for the bottom end should be. 0? 48? 96? Any suggestions on what has worked for you?

Thanks,
Sun Kim

Workin'

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
Using LAME 3.87, I set VBR3, Joint Stereo, 96kbps minimum bitrate, 256kbps maximum bitrate, High Quality. This usually gives an average bitrate of about 160kbps, and a good balance of file size and sound quality. I would say over typical computer audio and typical stereo setups, most people probably couldn't tell the difference between the mp3 and the original, and the file size is still pretty small. However, listening through a high-quality amp using high-quality headphones reveals occasional clues that it is an mp3 and not a CD.

sun818

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2000
Yeah, I downloaded a couple of Dr. Dre - Chronic 2000 songs off Napster cause I was too lazy to rip. Anyway, I notice the bass lines on some of the songs are "muddy". Not clear and crisp after listening to the original. I'm going to try your setting and see what happens.

Priit

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2000
AFAIK VBR-technology is more than year old by now (now very new), it's just not so widely used yet. I agree that LAME-encoded mp3's using VBR with high-quality settings sound good, but I still prefer 256kbit CBR (it's even a bit higher quality than high-quality VBR IMHO). Xing mp3 encoders have always suck and they still do: nothing but highest speed and lowest quality. Xing mp3 encoder cuts down everything above 16khz even @ 320kbit...

mariner

Golden Member
Nov 23, 1999
Good info divinemartyr! Never hurts to have a thread like this every week or so!

I've been using EAC/Lame combo for a couple of months with good results. At first I was overwhelmed by the options. Then I found this tutorial and I saw the light:)

BTW, I am running 2xC366@550/win2k and have experienced no problems when ripping/encoding in one action. I guess the real test will come when I rip/enc/burn in one action. I just need to find out how to do this:eek:

Strafe, what settings are you using?

pigmode

Jan 8, 2001
Which is a good, stable ver. of EAC for ME? I'd always heard that Fraunhofer was the best but I'd like to give EAC a try.

Also, which is the best Fraunhofer encoder?

pig

cloudchief

Dec 1, 1999
Anton, The Philips plays VBR fine. Now if Philips would only send mine back (it died after 3 months). My experience with various players and VBR.
Philips: Played all my VBR mp3's fine
Raite AV715: same as above
Aiwa DV370: Plays some some it won't, craps out on mp3's in general.
Classic Portable (from Circuit City). Won't play VBR's, plays to the point that it goes over 192k
and then craps out. Also known to skip on all mp3's.

sun818

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2000
Hey cloudchief -- My current mp3 cd player does not support VBR. Would you recommend the Phillips EXP103 Expanium player? The specs say it will play VBR up to 320kbps.