How to access semi frozen Windows 7

teknow

Jun 14, 2015
Hi,

I'm trying to access/unfreeze my Windows 7 desktop that's in a semi frozen state.

What happened: My browser was eating up most of my memory, at a certain point so much of it that when I tried to run another app, Win 7 went into this semi frozen state.

What's semi frozen: The screen went black, but the GPU is still sending out a signal, because the monitor didn't go to sleep (I can see that the relevant input on the monitor remains active). Mouse and keyboard are unresponsive (can't turn on/off the num lock led for example), but I can access this desktop's drives just fine through file sharing, even the ramdisk. If I try to connect to this computer via remote desktop over my LAN, it initially responds and I get to the point where it asks for a password, but then it timeouts while trying to login.

I can of course simply reboot the computer to get it working properly again, but since at least some core OS functionality is clearly still alive and well, it looks like an interesting thing to try to get the OS responding again. I'm not looking to avoid a reboot altogether, just getting to at least a very basic access where I could get the text from an unsaved document I had open at the time is enough - then I'd reboot. Thanks for reading and thanks for your help. BTW if there is some other place you think I'd have a better chance of solving this, let me know, I'm willing to ask around.

Billb2

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2005
Sounds like something is chewing up resources. You can download Process Explorer from Microsoft and it will tell you what's going on. Process Hacker 2 is a little better.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I've experienced that kind of hang before, including the Remote Desktop stuff. If I recall correctly, I always had to force reboot :/

teknow

Jun 14, 2015
Sounds like something is chewing up resources. You can download Process Explorer from Microsoft and it will tell you what's going on. Process Hacker 2 is a little better.

Firefox got greedy and gobbled up resources. I already know that and was waiting for it to crash (I was observing its behavior), but unfortunately before it crashed itself, it caused Windows to partially freeze as described.

If I recall correctly, I always had to force reboot :/

That's the usual way yeah. But this time I got to thinking there might be some lesser known low level command one could issue remotely to force Win into freeing up resources and get back up. Sort of like the $ trick to access non shared drives that still works in Win 7. If the computer still replies to pings I'm assuming this could be at least theoretically possible.