how thorough do restaurants wash fruits and veggies

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Fruits and vegetables are rinsed under water during prep in all reputable restaurants. Is there some experience or concern you're referring to?

Da Chef has spoken; So, let it be written. So, let it be done. :)

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Originally posted by: archiloco
i hope they rinse properly, haha don't know what properly is though....anybody?

Rinsing properly is removing any visible dirt or contaminant.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
When I was a cook years ago one of the waiters we worked with use to work for Olive Garden. When the crisping sink (sink they used to put the lettuce to soak in water and clean) got clogged up they would use the plunger from the restroom to do it.
But yeah, most will rinse off everything. If there is any noticeable dirt it will be removed otherwise that is it.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Throw them in a sink, fill it with cold water, pull them out as you cut them, drain the sink when done.

<-- made a lot of salad

Saint Nick

Lifer
Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Demon-Xanth
Throw them in a sink, fill it with cold water, pull them out as you cut them, drain the sink when done.

<-- tossed a lot of salad

fixed

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I worked in a major NY deli about 25 years ago. Was a well respected deli. Lets just say I never ate from there. :)

Tsaico

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2000
The hotel that I was at had four full restaurants. They didn't scrub them with anything, but did give a good hand washing. To tell you the truth, chances are the average restaurant is much cleaner than your average house kitchen.

WHile we are on the topic of clean vegetables, I love pointing out all the people who are getting sick off of vegetables, while the last meat recall didn't have any one fall ill, they were just doing it after the media got hold of video of downer cows... Who says being a vegetarian is supposed to be healthier?

Jul 10, 2007
Originally posted by: MagnusTheBrewer
Fruits and vegetables are rinsed under water during prep in all reputable restaurants. Is there some experience or concern you're referring to?

you a chef?

ever watch the movie Waiting?

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Originally posted by: BlahBlahYouToo

you a chef?

Yes, I'm a Chef and no, I haven't seen Waiting but, I never watch that genre of films anyways. So, what's your concern?

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Chain restaurants staffed by teenagers probably don't do a good job.

Real restaurants staffed by an owner/chef and his crew probably do a good job.

Avoid the neon lights, look for the wooden signs. You should be good.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
An advice to op. If you want to keep going out to eat, never look into the kitchen.

Jul 10, 2007

you a chef?

Yes, I'm a Chef and no, I haven't seen Waiting but, I never watch that genre of films anyways. So, what's your concern?

when i cook for myself and my gf, it's already a PITA to wash the veggies thoroughly (fruits not so much since they are easier).
i'm thinking to do this day in and day out for a bunch of strangers, i sure as heck wouldn't, so probably neither do the chefs.

is this the mentality of most chefs?

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
We used to wash the lettuce to make sure there were no bugs in it. Tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, etc. were not washed.

KT

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
To be a Chef, you must be passionate about food and good service. It's not a "PITA" to wash veggies and fruit, it's part of the craft. All the Chef's I know abhor the current lack of understanding about food and where it comes from on behalf of our customers. Real food is grown/raised in the dirt. It is not processed to the point of being unable to identify it's origins and, it is not served in fast food places.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
To be a Chef, you must be passionate about food and good service. It's not a "PITA" to wash veggies and fruit, it's part of the craft. All the Chef's I know abhor the current lack of understanding about food and where it comes from on behalf of our customers. Real food is grown/raised in the dirt. It is not processed to the point of being unable to identify it's origins and, it is not served in fast food places.

It's also how you wash it. At one of the restaurants I used to work at we would wash mushrroms in water and that is something I would never do now as I have a greater appreciation for good mushrooms and know now how the water can ruin them.

KT

Jul 10, 2007
Originally posted by: KeithTalent

It's also how you wash it. At one of the restaurants I used to work at we would wash mushrroms in water and that is something I would never do now as I have a greater appreciation for good mushrooms and know now how the water can ruin them.

KT

so how do you wash mushrooms?
i wash them in water and dice them, and notice they are very fragile.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005

you a chef?

when i cook for myself and my gf, it's already a PITA to wash the veggies thoroughly (fruits not so much since they are easier).
i'm thinking to do this day in and day out for a bunch of strangers, i sure as heck wouldn't, so probably neither do the chefs.

is this the mentality of most chefs?

Nope.

Most chefs get into the line of work because they care about food.

And most chefs aren't washing veggies all day. That's what prep cooks do. And remember, they have huge three bay sinks, massive collanders and other tools to make the job easier. They're not trying to wash tomatoes in a tiny sink in a 1 bedroom apartment with trickling water in a doggie dish.

Any chef worth his beans uses propert technique and methods.

Unless you go to Olive Garden, of course.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: KeithTalent

KT

so how do you wash mushrooms?
i wash them in water and dice them, and notice they are very fragile.

Mushrooms are sponges. By washing them in water you've A) destroyed their flavor B) injected tons of water into your dish, making the rest of your food bland.

To clean mushrooms, rub them gently with a dry cloth to remove the dirt. That's it. A little dirt won't kill you.

Mushrooms are sponges. They will absorb the flavors/oils they're cooked in as they impart mushroom flavor into the food. If you want them to release their flavors sooner, salt them for a while.

Other vegetables like tomatoes, zucchini and cucumbers NEED to be washed to remove most of the wax they're coated in at during processing. Unless you're buying organic food (and a lot of organic food is still coated in wax), you'll be eating a lot of wax and introducing a lot of wax into your cooking which can alter the chemical processes you're after and introduce strange tastes. Many restaurants have special veggie wash sprays that help break down the wax using organic chemicals that don't affect the food and rinse away easily.

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
the same place they wash their hands after going to the bathroom - in their mind...

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
All that the washing of vegetables does is removes visible dirt. Not a big deal. Washing does NOT remove e-coli, etc. from the surface of the vegetables. Of course, ultraviolet radiation could be used to help make our produce *much* safer, but morons (vast amount of the population with little or no science understanding, but who vote and yell at their elected representative "I ain't wantin no radiashun on muh vegables") prevent this from happening.