How the Mainstream Press Bungled the Single Biggest Story of the 2012 Campaign

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Ever heard of Robin Meade?

5221021113_0c2dd39690_z.jpg

i'm more an erin burnett fan but i could be persuaded to go over to the robin meade camp

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
That is their opinion. I saw plenty of coverage of republicans during the campaign cycle. I saw plenty of fact checking by the MSM. What exactly didnt get coverage? I dont believe for a second any of what wasnt supposedly covered was due to worries about being called partisan. These guys seem to believe the extremism of the republican party was not covered. I question if they understand what extremism is within our political system. But also I think they have a book to sell. One that appears to lay the blame of govt woes on republicans "extremism" and blames the media for not covering it.
Agreed, it is their opinion. It's an opinion I share, and so do many Republicans after the 2012 Primary circus. Note that I'm NOT talking about the dishonesty. That's a factor in every election, this election seemed worse than usual, and I agree the media certainly did a fair amount of fact-checking (though not as much as I think they should have). I'm talking about the over-the-top pandering to the party's fringe elements. This was discussed here, but in my opinion, the MSM largely ignored it.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Democrats take a hard left turn and then accuse the republicans of taking a hard right turn.

Man, that's so clever.
Thus proving you have no clue what a hard left is. (Hint: look to parts of Europe for examples of real left-wing politics. You won't find it it in the U.S.)

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Last edited:

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
That is their opinion. I saw plenty of coverage of republicans during the campaign cycle. I saw plenty of fact checking by the MSM. What exactly didnt get coverage? I dont believe for a second any of what wasnt supposedly covered was due to worries about being called partisan. These guys seem to believe the extremism of the republican party was not covered. I question if they understand what extremism is within our political system. But also I think they have a book to sell. One that appears to lay the blame of govt woes on republicans "extremism" and blames the media for not covering it.

Ya I don't know what news coverage this bozo watched but I saw plenty of fact checking going on.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
There was a lot of talk about fact-checking and outright lying by the Romney/Ryan ticket.

Even Fox News turned on them for a few of their falsehoods.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The beautiful thing about Righties, at least for their leadership, is that they can keep their nose in the buttcracks of their leadership though an entire ice skating routine- including the spins and jumps.

It's like some form of super magnetism, or something straight out of 1984, like the chocolate ration being raised.

Repubs have been screaming for austerity for 4 years, even fashioned the fiscal cliff to get it, but now that it's here, they say it'll kill jobs, particularly the military cuts, but they've been claiming that govt doesn't create jobs all along.

They used Mediscare & "death panels" as a bludgeon in 2010, and again in 2012, but their own proposal cuts Medicare as much as Obama's.

They thought stimulus was a great idea until it was Obama's idea, too, until he won the election- that's when they started screaming for Cut! cut! Cutting! our way back to full employment by forcing layoffs.

And the MSM dutifully reported every word of it, as if they were all born yesterday, as if 3 weeks, 3 months or 3 years ago ago never happened. When Repubs say they've been entirely consistent all along, they report that too...

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Ya I don't know what news coverage this bozo watched but I saw plenty of fact checking going on.

Yes, there was a lot of fact checking. But the point being made, the point that is completely true, is that the press tried to do equivalency. And the simple truth is that the GOP was lying 10 times as often or more than the Democrats. So trying to show equivalent fact checking when it was clear that Romney lied more on his own during his campaign than the entire rest of the country did in their everyday lives in the same time period, is just a false diatribe.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Democrats take a hard left turn and then accuse the republicans of taking a hard right turn.

Man, that's so clever.

The simple truth is that if the left/right political spectrum were a football field with the 50 yard line being dead center politics. The Democrats would be about their own 30 yard line, and the Republicans would be somewhere in the lower deck seating beyond their goal line. No one who is non partisan believes the left is anywhere near as far from center as the right. The only way to not see this is because you're blind due to your head being up your ass. If you need help with that, talk to monovillage, he's been living with his head up his ass for years, just look at his posts.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Agreed, it is their opinion. It's an opinion I share, and so do many Republicans after the 2012 Primary circus. Note that I'm NOT talking about the dishonesty. That's a factor in every election, this election seemed worse than usual, and I agree the media certainly did a fair amount of fact-checking (though not as much as I think they should have). I'm talking about the over-the-top pandering to the party's fringe elements. This was discussed here, but in my opinion, the MSM largely ignored it.

What pandering? What do you consider "fringe"? Romney was as moderate a republican as I have seen in my lifetime getting the nomination. Him and Obama occupied much of the same ideological space.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
lmao!

Now, for your economic update, here is Olivia Munn:

Newsroom-Olivia-Munn1.jpg

It is perhaps the saddest irony of our times that a phony economic reporter on an imaginary television show who got the job because of her big bazooms gives out more accurate economic information than the Republican candidate for President of the United States.