how the hell do you get people to respond on Craigslist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skim milk

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2003
I'm looking for housing and I send out emails asking for more information on the place for rent. It seems like 1 out of 10 emails I send out gets a response.
The posts haven't expired, they are very recent

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Apparently, they've figured out that skim milk is fritolays...and they don't want anything to do with you...:p

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Maybe some people are just actually going to look at the property and the slumlord property owner just deals with them instead of 10 emails with you, then answering the same questions in person when you want to look at it.

kyzen

Golden Member
Oct 4, 2005
www.chrispiekarz.com
if your email signature/name gives away too much information about you, you could be getting intentionally ignored. I know it's not legal in many places, but it happens.

I had a lot better luck getting initial replies when I stopped showing my name on my emails. still got shot down several times by people only wanting to rent to women, because men "tended to cause more damage."

and what Sluggo said also holds some truth. if they offer an option to look @ the property, take it, as that indicates that you're more serious.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Some people like me use a "dud" email so as to not give away too much personal info through each and every query, then they forget to check and don't forward them to their main account.

Like last week, I was selling an old CPU to someone, even gave the guy my phone number. He called and emailed me daily, but I just kept forgetting. I ended up finding out he was coming an hour before the fact, and gave him the address very late.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Maybe some people are just actually going to look at the property and the slumlord property owner just deals with them instead of 10 emails with you, then answering the same questions in person when you want to look at it.

this.

especially in CA/Bay Area, nearly all renting deals are handled in person, on the spot, and often with deposit ready to go within a day or so.

...or such is my experience and as others have suggested to me.

dfuze

Lifer
Feb 15, 2006
I have bad luck with emailing CL posters unless I send it a second time, I'm guessing spam filters.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I make sure my email doesn't sound like I'm a spammer. I generally get replies to all my inquiries. Then again, most of the things I send emails for aren't things that are likely to generate a deluge of emails to the person advertising the item.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
I have no experience on craigslist. Kijiji is much more popular around here and everyone I contact on there is pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.