How the HELL can I find out about my tax refund?

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
The idiots at the IRS owe me over $16k. Still haven't got my check, even though I filed by the due date I think it was back in May. I used their stupid on-line refund check thing, but it won't give me the status of my refund. I tried their stupid 1.800 number, when through the same process, it too would not give me the status. I tried getting through to a live individual but it seems impossible, each time I end up with a recording.

Anyone know what the HELL I can do?!?! Fuking goverment sucks...

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Big people can't be bothered with such trivial items like us small folk, apparently.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
You should blame Democrats for cutting IRS funding to the bone, not the Republicans who actually cut IRS funding to the bone.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
The idiots at the IRS owe me over $16k. Still haven't got my check, even though I filed by the due date I think it was back in May. I used their stupid on-line refund check thing, but it won't give me the status of my refund. I tried their stupid 1.800 number, when through the same process, it too would not give me the status. I tried getting through to a live individual but it seems impossible, each time I end up with a recording.

Anyone know what the HELL I can do?!?! Fuking goverment sucks...
You can try contacting your congressman to contact the IRS on your behalf. I had to do that once and it worked well.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
take your gallon gargarita jug back to Taco Cabana drive through and demand your tax refund

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Isn't it still kind of early for that stuff? I didn't even get any of my papers in the mail yet, like RRSP contribution receipts, T4 slip etc.

Though I'm looking forward to it, sort of... took out a huge chunk of stocks last year so I'm a bit worried I get hit hard with capital gains, but once I find out whether or not I do get hit hard, I can take out the other chunk, and pay off the credit line. Didn't want to take it all out the same year as I wanted to hopefully reduce my hit.

Once that credit line is paid off my truck and land will officially be paid off, then I can start saving to build my cabin. Possibly buy a sawmill too so I can use wood from the property. With lumber prices the saw mill will basically pay for itself.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Isn't it still kind of early for that stuff? I didn't even get any of my papers in the mail yet, like RRSP contribution receipts, T4 slip etc.
OP is talking about his 2020 tax refund.

I too just got mine taken care of... just in time to get into 2021 taxes.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
You could try a Tax Advocate. I had good experience with them due to a delayed refund but that was quite a while ago

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Why did you wait to file in May? File as early as possible if you want your refund to be processed in a timely manner.

I filed in February as I always do, and got my refund within a couple of weeks.

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
I just heard on the radio (NPR news item) a story of the HUGE backlog the IRS is facing. Three major factors:
(a) IRS has the oldest major computer system of ALL of the USA's government services;
(b) Severe government underfunding for a long time, resulting in substantial shortages of workers;
(c) recent added workload due to dispensing emergency aid funds to all citizens.

Results are predictable. IRS had a backlog at the start of 2020 of MILLIONS of unprocessed returns from 2019, so that simply rolled forward through 2020. People who write to them MAY get a very slow response as a form letter saying essentially, "We'll get to you when we can". Only roughly 10% of people who call their answering centre actually get to talk to a person within an hour or two, and sometimes cannot even get through.

So why? I'd guess that politicians for a LONG time have felt comfortable NOT funding the "Revenooors", on the basis that most people do not want to pay their taxes. So, just ignore the problem, right? That's "populism" for you. Even with government services, you get what you pay for. If we don't pay, we don't get.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I just heard on the radio (NPR news item) a story of the HUGE backlog the IRS is facing. Three major factors:
(a) IRS has the oldest major computer system of ALL of the USA's government services;
(b) Severe government underfunding for a long time, resulting in substantial shortages of workers;
(c) recent added workload due to dispensing emergency aid funds to all citizens.

Results are predictable. IRS had a backlog at the start of 2020 of MILLIONS of unprocessed returns from 2019, so that simply rolled forward through 2020. People who write to them MAY get a very slow response as a form letter saying essentially, "We'll get to you when we can". Only roughly 10% of people who call their answering centre actually get to talk to a person within an hour or two, and sometimes cannot even get through.

So why? I'd guess that politicians for a LONG time have felt comfortable NOT funding the "Revenooors", on the basis that most people do not want to pay their taxes. So, just ignore the problem, right? That's "populism" for you. Even with government services, you get what you pay for. If we don't pay, we don't get.
IRS deserves to be underfunded, given they've screwed over quite a few "Main St" business owners by freezing up their assets for "suspicious" activities..

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
If you're self employed and the IRS owes you $16k, you're doing something wrong. Form an LLC, elect to be taxed as an S corporation, pay yourself a salary and hire an accountant.

I guess it's better than owing 16k :eek: But yeah I would suggest getting an accountant and restructuring.