How stable and safe is the Overclocking?

clusta

Dec 3, 2009
Hello

I was today overclocked with the TurboV Evo the computer, and i am interested about it how stable it is and how secure is it for using like 24h a week.. whitout turning the computer off.

Here is a pic of a result how was overclocked the Turbov EVO auto tuning, fast tuning and extreme tuning.
And also i used the cpu level up option.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1379225

Last edited:

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Overclocking doesn't result in any security issues (that I know of). As for safety, It depends on how heavily you overclock the system. The more you overclock, the less life you can expect out of your CPU.

that being said, CPUs really have pretty long lives. You are more likely to upgrade than remove a failed CPU

clusta

Dec 3, 2009
Is it ok using the computer overclocked 1-2 days whitout turning it off ? or just using it when needed and thn declock it to the original clock? or?

clusta

Dec 3, 2009
Overclocking doesn't result in any security issues (that I know of). As for safety, It depends on how heavily you overclock the system. The more you overclock, the less life you can expect out of your CPU.

that being said, CPUs really have pretty long lives. You are more likely to upgrade than remove a failed CPU

For the overclocking i was used the TurboV on the mobo for first the cpu level up to 2.97ghz thn 3.06ghz, and 3.36ghz, all was ok.

Then next the TurboV auto tuning the fast and the extreme tuning, now on that pic is the extreme tuning. The temperatures was ok tho 38celsius 40,41,39, celsius .

Campy

Jun 25, 2010
have you tried a stress test program that actually taxes the cpu? if you're sitting in idle it's not very hard to understand why you have ok temps. download prime95 or orthos and do a stress test

miahallen

Oct 8, 2002
clusta, I just finished a complete overclocking guide that may help you out a bit....check the link in my signature :)

clusta

Dec 3, 2009
have you tried a stress test program that actually taxes the cpu? if you're sitting in idle it's not very hard to understand why you have ok temps. download prime95 or orthos and do a stress test

with the stress test program prime95 was 55,57,59,60 celsius the cpu

clusta

Dec 3, 2009
clusta, I just finished a complete overclocking guide that may help you out a bit....check the link in my signature :)

heavy guide miahallen,

so how good is using the computer overclocked with cpu level up for like everyday use and without turning of the machine ? and with the TurboV EVO auto tuning?

btw my rams are Patriot Sector 5G Viper II 1600mhz 4GB and Xigmatek balder cpu cooler..

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
heavy guide miahallen,

so how good is using the computer overclocked with cpu level up for like everyday use and without turning of the machine ? and with the TurboV EVO auto tuning?

btw my rams are Patriot Sector 5G Viper II 1600mhz 4GB and Xigmatek balder cpu cooler..

Define "Good"

Will it decrease CPU life? Yep, from 20 years to 10 years or some number like that, I don't think anyone has ever done an actual study on it.

Will it increase power consumption? Yep, sometimes quite dramatically. Possibly around 200W depending on A LOT of factors from voltage to clock speed.

Will it decrease the life of Other components? Yep, Ram, Northbridge, and possibly even the GPU will all be taxed harder from overclocking. But again, that is a decrease of life from like 20 years to 10 years. (Not the real number)

Will it result in increased performance? Yes, sometime very significant performance increases are seen. It isn't a placebo.

It should be noted, that when I say life is reduced, generally it isn't a "One day the CPU doesn't work" sort of decrease. it is more of a "Oh, I can't hit 50GHz anymore, I have to clock down to 49GHz".

clusta

Dec 3, 2009
Ok, but

Can i using the computer so overclocked for 1-2 days without turning it off?

Is it good or not recommended?
or
Better is using the computer overclocked just when i need?

I am interested about it.

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
so how good is using the computer overclocked with cpu level up for like everyday use and without turning of the machine ?
My i7 920 D0 at 21 x 190 = 3.99 Ghz (vcore=1.264) has been running for 14 months with CPU maxed out at 100% use.

Real Temp is showing that I have not turned off the computer for 1,713 hours and 25 minutes.
Real Temp also shows max temp = 98 C and min temp = 34 C. The average temp during most of that time was probably 75 C. The current temp is 71 C.

clusta

Dec 3, 2009
My i7 920 D0 at 21 x 190 = 3.99 Ghz (vcore=1.264) has been running for 14 months with CPU maxed out at 100% use.

Real Temp is showing that I have not turned off the computer for 1,713 hours and 25 minutes.
Real Temp also shows max temp = 98 C and min temp = 34 C. The average temp during most of that time was probably 75 C. The current temp is 71 C.

Sounds good and heavy

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Can i using the computer so overclocked for 1-2 days without turning it off? yes

Is it good or not recommended? See post above
or
Better is using the computer overclocked just when i need? See above

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
at the moment, I have 5 computers running 100% load 24/7, including 2 video cards in each computer, all overclocked. I do the same as Gleem, F@H.

If your overclock is good and stable, they run for years this way.

Bman123

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2008
Ok, but

Can i using the computer so overclocked for 1-2 days without turning it off?

Is it good or not recommended?
or
Better is using the computer overclocked just when i need?

I am interested about it.

Why would you leave the pc on when you are sleeping? Or are you staying awake for 2 days non stop on your nerd machine?