How soon to put Syn Oil in new vehicle

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
I have about 3K miles on my new Toyota Tacoma. I've got some Mobil 1 and a new filter to throw on there, but I've been told by some people (with nothing to back up their claims) that you shouldn't switch over so early...need to give it time to "seal" properly.

First off, I feel like the engine is really already broken in and the seals are probably fine. Secondly...they give me no reason that the seals will be affected at all based on the oil being used. I know particles in old engine oil tend to fill in cracks over long time periods...but I'm not waiting to 65K to switch to syn...so that really doesn't hold water.

Finally I checked out Amsoil's website where they respond to the same question and seem to say there is no problem running synthetic from day one....although they mention to wait a bit to let the initial engine break in (and the resulting crap in the oil) be done with cheap oil instead of their product.

Either way, what do you guys think...is there a good reason I should wait...or should I go ahead and change it?

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
I thought you had to give the engine enough time for piston rings to seat properly (500-1k miles?).

Tom

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Some car manufacturers are now putting synthetic oil in, first thing. Go ahead and do so yourself.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Budmantom
I thought you had to give the engine enough time for piston rings to seat properly (500-1k miles?).

Tom

Yeah...that is what people have been saying to me...but with nothing to back it up. I don't see how the different oil type is going to have anything to do with how the rings seal.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Chadder007
Some car manufacturers are now putting synthetic oil in, first thing. Go ahead and do so yourself.

Yeah, that is another point I failed to mention...a lot of manufacturers (mercedes, mitsu for the EVO, etc.) use synthetic right from the get go.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Actaeon
Oil is Oil.

Um...not really. I'm not about to fill my car up with safflower oil. =)

Honestly though, all motor oil is not the same IMHO, but I'm not arguing that...I've been putting syn oil in my cars for years now with good results...