Question How secure is Windows 10 sign in?

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
For years I have been using Winrar to securely encrypt important files on my computers. Now that I'm using Windows sign in I'm wondering if this is necessary. Assuming I have a sufficiently hardened passcode is Windows sign in secure or can it be easily bypassed?

If I don't have to extract and recompress the files all the time it would be nice but I always worry about my computer getting into hand I don't want it in.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Unless you use something like Bitlocker (Windows 10 Pro), your files aren't secured on your drive and could be accessed if someone had access to the computer.

I still use 7-Zip to encrypt and password protect extremely important files like taxes and other sensitive financial documents on my computer.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
For years I have been using Winrar to securely encrypt important files on my computers. Now that I'm using Windows sign in I'm wondering if this is necessary. Assuming I have a sufficiently hardened passcode is Windows sign in secure or can it be easily bypassed?

If I don't have to extract and recompress the files all the time it would be nice but I always worry about my computer getting into hand I don't want it in.

You can add windows 10 secure sign in as an added feature to launching Windows."Secure Sign-In is an additional component on the Windows 10 login screen. It doesn’t prevent anyone from accessing your PC if they have your credentials. Instead, Windows 10 removes the login fields until you type a string of keys. After that, enter your password or PIN as usual. This feature aims to thwart malware. Malicious code could reside in the background and spoof the Windows 10 login screen to capture your credentials. Because apps and programs typically don’t have access to the Ctrl+At+Del command, you can bypass the fake login screen by using Secure Sign-In that’s activated by typing this three-key command. "

https://www.howtogeek.com/443119/how-to-enable-or-disable-secure-sign-in-for-windows-10/
I have never run into a hack or virus able to bypass CAD and a PIN.

Reactions: meanoc

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I think I'll just keep doing what I'm doing with WinRar until a better alternative comes along.